sight reading help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer1989, Nov 4, 2008.

1. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA
    I'm a second year music major, and am noticing that I am lacking in my ability to sight read well. The other trumpet players can get a piece of music and play it really well the first time. At first I thought that I was lacking in the rhythmic area but now I am thinking otherwise. It seems that I am unsure of the notes being played. I practice my scales everyday. I have them all memorized and can play them great. I seem to be having an issue transfering the fundamentals to playing. Does anyone have an idea of how I can go about getting better at sight reading? Thanks

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Duets.
    Find a partner and get busy reading new stuff. You will be amazed:cool:
    Wilmer

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Wilmer's advice is the best, when learnng french horn years ago my teacher and I played nothing but duets for a year, never the same one twice, this worked wonders for my sight reading and pitching.

Regards, Stuart

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get a hymnbook and transpose. You won't run out of tunes too quickly!

The key for sightreading is just to do it. Play EVERYTHING that you can get your hands on. Play softly so that your chops last longer - then play more.

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Everything above is excellent advice and you should definately follow all of it. Here is a fun little trick that my private teacher had me doing for a while to work on sight reading. Get your daily newspaper and put it on your music stand. Now read the newspaper while running your scales on the trumpet. The thought being that you get the two halves of your brain working together. It sounds strange and is hard as H*LL at first, but it does make a big difference... for me anyway. If nothing else, it is always fun to try something new to mix things up a bit!! Have fun!

6. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA
    thanks everyone, Im gonna try your advice. :-)