Sight reading needs work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I'm not a well trained musician, but what I came up with, to good effect, is to learn reading by writing.

Get yourself some blank manuscript paper and just start copying some of your charts. I have found in so doing that I am moving from "spelling out the words" to recognizing entire words or phrases more easily. It has helped a lot.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Yea! That's how I learnd my scales, knowing theory and haveing blank staves I wrote them down both ways and it helped me learn them pretty quick

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I agree with what has been said. Reading a lot improves your reading. I've been playing through the Bugs Bower duet book lately. But I think in addition to this, sight singing is a big help. If you can hear it in your head when you see it, it makes it easier to get it to come out of the horn.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Mike,

I'm with you on the Bugs book and used it for sight reading last year until the tunes became too familiar. You can use both first and second parts as good sightreading materials.

Anyone know of anything else similar to the Bugs book? I bought it on a whim after seeing someone here talk about it. Would love to find some other books that are very similar.