Sight reading suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Parkerweiss, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    Hey guys,
    I'm just looking for any suggestions to improve sight reading fairly quickly. I'm not horrible by any means but I'd like to improve my lead part sight reading. Currently I've been working the Raph book pretty hard as well as reading through the Charlie Parker Omnibook with metronome. Any suggestions?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Parkerwiess, How long have you been practicing? I am unable to say you are playing until you can read music as rapidly as a song is written. Usually "sight reading" infers transposition from music written for other instruments, and this I do.

3. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm coming from more of a jazz perspective. So I'm mostly looking for stuff to work on to help me get better at reading at chart down as well as possible while looking at it for the first time. I've been playing almostt 8 years. Going in to 4th year at University for jazz performance.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Can't agree with Mr Lee. Sight reading is exactly that! Reading the music put in front of you, not transposing that into some other key.

Can't help with an suggestions to improve it, other than to do as much as you can. Check the Internet for any sheet music and try to read it. Gradually familiar patterns will appear that you recognise, which makes sight reading easier.

5. Parkerweiss

Parkerweiss New Friend

Jun 24, 2013
    Yeah, that's kind of the consensus I've come to. Just looking for any possible help!

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I was learning French Horn my teacher and I played duets, he seemed to have an endless supply, once through only and then on to the next. In 2 years this worked wonders for my sight reading, much better than going alone, it forced me to read and play at speed with accuracy.

Regards, Stuart.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Not sure how to improve it quickly, but I work on sight reading for a portion of my practice routine. Have several books of jazz charts. I can tell it makes a difference. While classical is good practice, if you want to I prove reading jazz, you have to practice on jazz.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Parkerweiss, I do it the same way you do. I use a Korg tuner/metronome, that has a different tone for the 1st Beat of the bar, and this helps me to stay with it. Otherwise, like most others have said, the more you do it, the better you will get. Read as much as you can, and try to stylise for Jazz once you have gone through the piece the first time.

Of course I did not mention that Scales in all keys are part of my practice, and looking at the Key signature, and recognising the Key - Major or Minor is also important.

Try here for Scales for Improvization : Craig Fraedrich's Web Site

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    One of the things that has helped me is to simply take the time to read sheet music instead of (for example)reading EW magazine or playing on the phone. The more you expose yourself to it, the more you will feel at ease with it.
    So the next time you go the the rest room, take the Omni book with you. As for me, I've got the Goldberg Variations next to the throne for quick and private access.
    Word of caution. Don't try to buzz the notes with your spincter. It won't sound good and you might bruise something.
    But seriously, reading will get better through exposure. Presently, you might read notes but in time you'll be reading phrases. Your ability to read music will be similar to reading a literature. You don't focus on one word at a time now do you? Of course not. The way you gaze at the page is different now than when you were in 5th grade. In time, that's the way it will be with music if you focus on exposure. Now get that Omni book to the rest room and get busy!
    Dr.Mark

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I concur with Dr. Mark -- about reading the music before you play it --- I find it way easier to sight read, after I have looked at: time changes, key changes, tempo changes and such (also repeats, and the DS al Sign, DC capo repeating stuff like that) -- not that I am the best sight reader (but I know all 10 scales ROFL ROFL ROFL) -- OK, I know most of my scales up, down, and sideways -- just knowing them helps a lot!!!!