Sight reading suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Parkerweiss, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing through the Omni or Real book is a great idea, and if you have someone to play duets with, there are cheapo recorder duets that are fun to swing to. More fun can be achieved by removing the second valve crook. This requires excellent concentration to keep from laughing all the time.

2. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I always enjoy looking for your comments. In this instance...I had a cold sweat or something just now. The amount of scales can be INFINITE! :shock:
    12 distinct major scales...plus 3 versions of a minor scale for each. That's already 48 scales right there! And then 7 modes per chromatic note- that's another 42 scales. So far 90 scales! :(

3. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Another strategy for improving sight-reading: work on your understanding of harmony, and develop more facility with patterns for improvisation.

If you can understand the harmonic structures the composer created, the notes will all make sense together. They will appear to assemble into familiar patterns, and just fall under your fingers. If you don't feel the harmony, then every note will seem as likely or unlikely as any other note, and it'll be hell to sight-read.

4. ihasmario

ihasmario New Friend

May 16, 2013
    For me sight reading rhythm was harder than sight reading notes. Create a single bar (+1 quaver before it) of possible combinations down to quavers. Learn to play them at sight. For example, how does a full bar of quavers sound, and how is it different to a full bar of quavers with a quaver before the bar (kind of a pick-up).

If you encounter runs of semi-quavers in sight reading situations (for example if you are sight reading a bebop improv for some reason - or even if you are just practising it), do it again with semiquavers (gets a little tedious here though)

5. Gordo

Gordo New Friend

Dec 5, 2012
    Park. I'm a comeback player in a local community band. I use the FREE 1 Minute Checklist 4 Sightreading I found on www.watertonbrassmusic.com. I had 6 new pieces last week and the checklist came in handy.
    Gordon

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Also practicing sight singing is helpful. If you can't hear it in your head you will miss notes.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

I never understand the singing bit. I can play notes way higher than I could ever sing. I try to hear the note I will actually be playing, unless it's a semi quaver run etc. then I just try to hear the start note and the end note.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just grab music books, even if for other instruments, and just start playing. I wouldn't waste time transcribing, just play it like it's written for you! I was having a really, really hard time with a piece one time (cause I used to do this) and my teacher laughed. It was harp music!!!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If it is in your instrument range, most of the time it sounds pretty good as a solo, but it usually sounds like trash harmonizing with the instrument for which it is written ... STILL FOR SIGHT READING ONLY, IT IS A STUDY! I've also done this with some bass parts up one or more octaves. Disclaimer: TobyLou, just luckily the music wasn't scored for an Eb, F, Ab, or D instrument. The harp is a C instrument, just like a piano.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I sight read the trombone in G clef (cause, NO, I haven't learned that stupid Bass clef -- YET) -- mostly ok, but it sometimes doesn't sound right!!!! ---- now if I take Bass clef music and try to play that with my trumpet (pretending it is written in G clef) --- it never sounds right!!!!