Sight Reading Tips/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BowmaninBb, May 8, 2013.

1. BowmaninBb

BowmaninBb New Friend

May 4, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    So, last week at private lessons my teacher (band director) said 'Well we really need to work on your rhythm reading. It is going to be a long and boring process for you since every other aspect of your playing is above your comprehension of rhythm." So, can you all give me some advice regarding rhythm reading? Such as tips, things that have helped you, and method books with great stuff to read. I think it is tied to my perception of a metronome as well, even when I play with a metronome subdividing down to 8th notes my notes don't always necessarily line up spot on with the beats. During marching season this was a major problem since I would get out of step marking time and marching. Do you guys think this could possibly tied to my ADD and not being able to focus?

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    2 things come to mind (a) play duets with a friend that is a better player, could be a clarinet player or other instrument, (b) get involved with a brass quintet. Good luck

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is not intended to mislead you, but hanging the "tag" of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) on you IMO only increases your problem, but I'm no doctor. Succinctly, all this really means that you are readily distracted and there are many more circumstances where this is an asset than there are in circumstances where it isn't. Usually, this "tag" is laid on you in the academic area, and mostly seems to exist only there. Two causes flash to the forefront: 1. A personality clash with the instructor and 2. boredom with the subject material. Whoops, boredom ("boring") was mentioned as a corrective function, and to this I disagree. An academic subject is only boring when it is presented as such.

My first suggestion is provide a listing of any music you've listened to that you like and where you've listened to each.

Oh yes, "marches", and personally I like many having been initially trained by a former member of one of Sousa's bands. That was the majority of music as was then available to our high school band during WWII and we had to hand copy and transpose such for each of our instruments. Certainly I was then distracted by just an eye lock with a member of our band of the opposite gender or the misstep of those in front of me or the low flying plane, or just the wind, and I can't tell you how many in the band had their music blown away and scattered in the wind.

Good gosh, it just isn't possible to totally synchronize with a metronome when there are so many tempo variances in music. It can look great when a band marches in slow motion during a "retard" or double times at 240 to parade position from the fanfare in a single line on the football goal line. I haven't seen a waltz weaver since my oldest brother was in our high school band, but our band did a continuous counter march in alternate columns on street parade. Yes, many a Saturday mornings without instruments, except for two snare drums and a bass drum we marched on the field.

4. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    Just open scores and play, also good for transposition practice.
    Play a complete section, mistakes and all, then go back to correct mistakes.
    Good luck.

5. jamiepompey

jamiepompey New Friend

Mar 23, 2013
    Have a look at some particular phrases and patterns that you find difficult to sight read. Practice them until they become extremely familiar to you. In all likelihood the next time you see the same pattern in a different piece of music you will be able to play the rhythm more accurately. I agree that being labelled with ADD can give some the excuse to give up however you seem determined to succeed so keep going, you're doing everything right. You will improve over time :)

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    8ths aren't enough. Go for 16ths. Take a beginning book and chop everything into 16ths. A quarter note is four sixteenths; a half, eight. Stupid little kid melodies, over and over again. Repeat over and over again. Once you can play a whole note and hear those 16th in your head every time, you'll find rhythm much easier.

7. BowmaninBb

BowmaninBb New Friend

May 4, 2013
    Gainesville, FL
    I didn't even think of that! I'll dig through my drawers, I'm sure I still have by beginning band from 6th grade.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It really takes the guess work out of it. Once you feel you know, really know, the correct rhythm ... well it's magic.

9. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    This is great advice. :)

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My first trumpet instructor had me write "1-ee-an-ee, 2 ee-an-ee, 3-ee-an-ee, 4 ee-an-ee" (16th) over the passages in order to break them down acurately.