sight reading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 1, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    No, but I agree with you, to be good at sight-reading you do have to be one measure ahead.

2. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    We get a lot of practive sight reading while playing in Church. Even thought there the song list is created in advance there are always changes taking place quite often they are on the fly.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes.

4. k_macari

k_macari New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    UK
    Louie Bellson's Rhythmic Patterns books are fantastic for sight-reading, as far as reading rhythms goes. Within days of working through the exercises in the book, my sight-reading improved. There is a book with 4/4 rhythms and another for irregular time signatures.

Highly recommended!

Kim

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Start with short songs ala Arban's phrasing studies. Pick one song and figure it out. Stay with it untill you can play it correctly. Then do another, etc. Do this everyday. The goal is to be able to read correctly not just the notes and rhythms but dynamics and phrasing. It just takes spending time with it over the long run. If you just play through something and you don't correct your mistakes, you will not improve.

A good piece of advice: play what you see not what you think you hear.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    Along those lines, if you have any singing ability, it helps to sight read singing as well. Teaches you to hear what you see (i.e. good interval training for the ear), so that you play in the center of notes when you read.

7. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I might also add that, to benefit your reading...you should be exposing yourself to LISTENING more often. The more rhythms and styles you listen to...the more those things will become more familiar to you. Try transcribing some of these things that you listen to. Listen to recordings of things you are having to play...thus, you will hear it done as it is supposed to be...all the while reading along the rhythms...etc. Find recordings of of the type of things you are either being asked to play...or would like to be able to play...absorb.

Another aid is to get a drum book. Clap or play the rhythms on a single note. Do this with a metronome so you won't waver. (can you see a trend here? Rhythms are a key to learning how to sight read???). Look, you probably already (or should be) working on fluidity in all keys. There are zillions of books on this subject...but not as many on those..."fascinatin' rhythms". ;-)

Okay... get to work...and have some fun!

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'll second the rhythm bit
    Rhythm is what has always helped me the most with sight reading (and playing in general)
    knowing where the beats is essential

9. beckhome

beckhome New Friend

Feb 10, 2008
    Tigard, Oregon
    I've always been a good sight reader and the #1 reason is that I'm a good book reader as well. There is a direct correlation between the reading of books and the reading of music. Work on your speed while reading books will help with sight reading.

Start with beginning band books, or the John Kinyon Breeze Easy series, or the Walter Beeler method. Start from the beginning and sight read through them. Then get the Getchell books both volumes and sight read them. And then the Rubank books. By the time you've done this, your sight reading should be much better.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Several others mentioned this. Make it a part of your everyday routine. I do 20 min. of sight reading in the segment after my warmup. Twice through each piece. Clapping the rhythm and singing the part while resting your chops is very helpful.
    veery