Sightreading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jul 25, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So I hear the only way to get better at it is to actually do it. Even try finding tunes, trying to play them, and then looking up the real version of it and comparing your playing. Are there other ways to improve sightreading? Also where should I be looking for sightreading music? I have a book of tons of more popular jazz songs that I could use to start with...

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The best way is definitely to just play as many tunes as possible, and most importantly, play them in time. If you play them in time (not doubling back or hesitating), both sight-reading and overall playing will improve.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I think you already have enough to last for a while.
    1)Take a song book to the bathroom and instead of reading some magazine, see if you can read the music.
    2)Turn to a random page and play it. Record what you played and go back and listen to it and follow along and see how well you did.

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK

Love it. :D

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    In the last few days I have been using Smartmusic to practice sight reading. It has tons of big band charts, so I just go down the list of tunes playing trumpets 1-4. For me, they aren't really challenging, but it is a good refresher since I haven't dont big band work in a while.

Find a friend and play duets. No stopping.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hymnbook

Over 700 tunes. Play them in various keys. Play the alto voice: 700 more tunes.

If you play in a band, borrow a clarinet or sax players method book. Tons more stuff. Every day something new. Don't call it sightreading, call it mindstretching!

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The best way to improve sight reading is to play in as many different groups as possible , also if you can find books or sheet music with play-a- long CDs it will force you to play in time and show you how the different figures are played and or phrased. Music Minus One Trumpet CDs are a good place to start, just reading through music by yourself doesn't fix errors if you don't know what you did wrong, when playing with others or with a recording you will hear what you did wrong right away and learn how to fix it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Arban has a few tunes in it.

9. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Rowuk- Should I look for one at a generic sheet music store?

Yea I could take a look at those too. I bought an Arban book about 2 weeks ago. Do you guys also have any suggestions as to how much practice time I should spend with it and what specifics I should do in it?

Also what can I do for working up my endurance so I can practice longer? I don't mean things like playing softer so I can practice longer but things that can really make it so I can play stuff how it is written for like 3 hours straight. (It feels like in my more recent practicing my range has been staying a little longer and it is right on the edge of being to a point where if I push it slightly I would be able to practice lots longer and still keep it.)

I know this is where a private instructor would help...

(I'd make new threads for new questions/topics but that would be alot of threads)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Take a look at my website, it has tons of sheet music!