Sightreading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Veldkamp,

Great site, great originals, LOVE IT!
    Many thanks to you.
    Cheers

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Play softly and practice 30 minutes then take a 15 minute break. Forget about building chops for 3 hours straight. That happens naturally with my 30/15 recommendation. if you have at least 4 hours of practice time.
    3 hours straight is what you do at gigs and rehearsals, NOT IN THE PRACTICE ROOM.

Many of you forget that playing is 90% concentration. Only the most gifted can concentrate for much longer than an hour. Those gifted people are often difficult to hold conversations with - they live in another world.

If you are reasonably normal, you build concentration while practicing too. Do not overdo it. You will lose. Every brainless note leads to the next one - when you don't need it!

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

I know I may go off the main subject, but how would you build the necessary stamina for a 3 hour gig if you never do that in the practice room? Though a Recital is very different thing, I was thought when preparing one to switch the performance mode on sometimes in the practice room and play everything that is on the concert/recital in one sessions, as I was actually doing the performance for real...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick,
    a 3 hour gig means 4 hours of practice time. My formula says that there are 8x 30 minute sessions and 7x 15 minute breaks.

Very seldom do we play 3 hours straight on stage. There are always bars of rests or tunes where we don't play and an intermission in the middle somewhere. I have gotten away with 2 hours practice a day and survived the long concert too. We had Carmen, Pictures and a modern piece premiered last weekend with the orchestra. In Pictures, I played without an assistant (no picc - for Schm├╝yle I used my G trumpet with the gold brass D trumpet bell) and got through with no pain. The encore was the 2nd Jazz Waltz by Schostakovich and because the audience went crazy, the great Gate again. I beat myself up and was happy that I had invited my trumpet students the next day for ice cream instead of lessons. Wednesday, I was back to normal!

If you are planning a 2 hour brass quintet concert, then you have some SERIOUS calculation to do. Get someone to moderate between the pieces.

The heaviest playing I ever saw was Tower of Power live. Even so, there was enough ballads where they could relax a bit.

The dress rehearsals can be the full length. That is enough if we are really prepared.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Last September the sax teacher at my college and I got hired to be the horns in a R&B/Rock cover band. We were also the openening act as a jazz trio for the band.
    Since the rock band had never heard us play before (we got hired by reputation) they did every tune in the book for sound check. It took over two hours just to sound check with the band. Then I played a 1 hour set of jazz as the only horn in a trio, then I got a 30 minute break before I had to play another 2 hours with the rock band to close the night out.
    Needless to say, I was wrecked, but I was able to do it because I had a steady practice routine and the knowledge to not go wild when I didn't need to.
    I would never practice as intensly as that because it would mean I could only practice every other day or so.
    I am an advocate of the 30 minutes with a 15 minute break. Sometimes I do 45, then take a break depending on my scheduling.

6. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Thanks for the site Veldkamp + others who posted :-)

Rowuk...I have another question for you- Are you the god of Trumpet knowledge?

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If you play the alto line in a Hymn book I think it will get boring pretty quickly.

I agree 100% that transposing will improve your sight reading.

If the music is too hard play it slowly. It will still help.

8. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I am surprised no one has said anything about ear training. That is what helped me improve drastically with my site reading. If you can hear it in your head, it is much easier to play. Have the ability to identify and sing all your intervals, scales, and modes.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Erik, What happened to the Sponge play-along? I can't find it.

10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I deleted most of the mp3s on my site that weren't original compositions. The copyright department in the Netherlands developed a program (bot) to check all websites for mp3s and if you have stuff on your site that you don't have the copyrights of, you can start paying!