sightreading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vann, May 7, 2011.

1. vann

vann New Friend

May 4, 2011
    are there any tips out there on sightreading? I have real trouble with it.I can play anything if I have 1/2 hour. I know to work on cruise ships you have to be a good reader.

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
  3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  4. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    play in as many rehearsal bands that you can. sitting next to good readers rubs off on you. you will also hear it played correctly if you are having trouble.

i used to read the charlie parker omnibook with a metronome on 2 & 4. start slowly and gradually get it up to speed.

good luck

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tap your foot, count in your head 1-ee-and-ah-2-ee-and-ah .... . Then just play a lot of new music. Like the Carl Fischer book idea and it's "cheap"! :thumbsup:

6. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    +1 on Erik Veldkamp's site. Lots of great free stuff. I bought several of his excellent original playalong tunes also.

7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    You can find a good sight reading book here:
    Hickey's Music Center Online - Sheet Music, Accessories, Instruments, Compact Discs & More!
    Search for all state sight reading.
    This is an All State compilation that ranges from easy to difficult.

You can never sight read something more than once. But that doesn't mean that you should play it only once. My approach is to sight reading (during practice sessions – not when playing in a group) is to spend some time mentally examining the rhythm, pitch and dynamics before playing. Then I play it straight through. If I make a mistake – no matter how bad – I keep going, always with the aim of getting to the beginning of the next bar on-tempo and on-pitch.

That first run through is the sight reading experience for that piece, and I can never repeat it. However, the work has just begun. At this point I play it over and over, with and without a metronome. I am constantly considering what I missed or could have done better during the first reading. Then I put the piece away and don't play it for at least a couple of weeks.

Later I will come back to the piece and approach it as if it were a new piece. Again, I do a run through with no breaks. This isn't sight reading because there is a memory of the areas that were worked on last time. But there is a similarity to sight reading because some time has elapsed since the last playing, and I can't remember all the corrections without carefully looking at the printed page. This second "sight reading" is very helpful because I'm learning to look at page in a different, more concentrated way. The improvements that I make in this second reading become part of my skill set to play other pieces correctly on the first reading.

The second run through is always better, but sometimes I make the same mistake again. This obviously is a signal to consider this particular problem and perhaps devote some time to correcting it. Sometimes I will go through the same practice procedure and come back to the piece a third time a couple of months later.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get a hymnbook. There are 700+ tunes in 4 part harmony giving you 2,800 options. At the same time expression, transposition and endurance can be built. If you take parts up an octave, range too.

9. ssbtrumpet1

ssbtrumpet1 New Friend

Jul 31, 2010
    Bay Area
    For me sightreading has a lot to do with concentrating. When I'm really focused and concentrating hard I sightread very well. When I'm not on my game, my reading is not that great.

I recently through one of my students, I stumbled on to SmartMusic. It's an online music program that has tons of downloadable music that you can play along to over the internet. A lot of the songs will have the music "on screen" so you can play the specific part (i.e. trumpet 1, 2, or clarinet 3) along with the actual recording. It comes with a microphone so it will judge your playing (missed notes, rhythms etc..) and give you an accuracy percentage at the end of the song. Plus, it records each take so you can listen back to it after you play.

So if you wanted to get on a cruise line, do what I do, load up the 1st trumpet parts to all the Gordon Goodwin tunes -which are all on the SmartMusic- and sight read away. Best of all, it only costs $35 a year for the subscription. I'm not getting paid by SmartMusic to endorse it, I just happen to think it's a really great product.

Hope this helps and have fun.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've filled in at rehearsals with a couple of groups, one of which is a big band full of really fine players from this area, (Baltimore/Washington DC) many of whom are retired from or are currently active in the area's premier military bands. Nothing is watered down and the playing standard is top notch. I've noticed that very thing - I'll roll in and my reading will be all over the place at first, but even as quickly as by the end of the rehearsal, my reading will be drastically improved, simply from playing next to cats who do it right and do it with confidence.

Nice suggestion - I hadn't thought about it quite like that.