Silent Brass question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetJ, Nov 12, 2009.

1. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    I have a silent brass system and just hooked it up to my computer. Is there any way I can get the sound to run through my speakers?

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Not sure about that, but you might be able to plug the speakers into the studio thingy and run the sound through that.

Although I think that would really defeat the purpose of the Silent Brass...ROFL

3. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    It was more of a curiosity question. I enjoy the sound quality from recording myself. I just wanted to know if it's possible in case i wanted to play along with itunes or something.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Re: Silent Brass question - use with AIM/Skype

Interesting that you brought this up, I was thinking of posting a question - now I guess I will.

I take lessons via webcam, and when I travel on business and stay in a hotel I would like to be able to get the silent brass to work with AIM and/or skype. It didn't work last time, despite the fact that I could record myself using sound recorder . . . I ended up using the silent brass; I don't know how well he could hear me, but we did make due with that.

Anyone have any ideas there?

5. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    Actually, once I got hooked up last night, I called my friend, who was sitting across the room, on Skype. There was a slight delay, but that should be a non-issue considering you don't usually Skype someone who is in the same room. I had to mess with my mic levels to make sure the computer was picking up sound through my mute.

6. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Cool, did you use the amplifier or hook it directly to the mic port?

7. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    If you're planning on 'plugging in' your silent brass to your computer - you'll need a microphone pre-amp. The condenser mic that's part of the mute requires power to operate.

You can get one from Maplin (Radio Shack) quite cheaply.

:-)

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Sorry - not Mac friendly:
    If you use the SB module it will power the mic. Use the SB headphone output plugged into the Line input (blue on PCs), NOT the MIC input (orange or pink), balancing the SB volume adjustment with the Line input level adjustment (right side of volume control panel which comes up when you double-click the speaker in the system tray) on the computer.

veery

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks, I'll try that.

10. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Take the head phone plug and get an extension and plug it into your computer stereo system. You may need a Y type connector if you want to run both music from your computer and from your silent brass at the same time.
    Keep in mind that computer stereo systems will work just fine without your computer attached to them as a rule. For example if your TV has a sound jack you can normally plug a computer stereo right into it without any issues at all.
    One odd thing to me is that that Yamaha Silent Brass unit works far better on my old Bundy horn than it does on my near mint, older, Olds Ambassador.