Silent Brass reistance harmful or not

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Mar 25, 2008.

1. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    I agree completely with Robin and Oldlou; The quality headphones you use are very important, and crank up the volume so you don't try to force the sound. I also try not to use too much reverb. However, I certainly wouldn't want to do all or even most of my practicing with SB. BTW, did anyone see the video of LA Phil doing "Sacre du Printemps" where the 1st and 2nd trumpets used the SB mutes in that soft duet passage in Part II? It's a bit after 2 minutes in...

YouTube - The Rite of Spring - Salonen/LA Phil (III)

Regards,
    Chas

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    One thing is for sure, it's heavy at the end of the horn . . . I find myself putting my right pinky in the ring to help hold the horn up which is something I am trying to avoid - to reduce pressure, and also, it messes with having my finger ready for the third valve.

3. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    I find that you really need to use a good set of headphones. Once you get the volume balanced at an appropriate level to your liking, you don't notice the resistance so much. I do a fair bit of practicing with this mute late at night and find that my chops feel great and articulations are clearer after using it.

4. Bugler

Bugler Banned

I gave up on Silent Brass and purchased from Dillon's a "Best Brass" practice mute. Made in japan, costs $80. I am not usually one to sing praises about equipment, but this is without a doubt the best practice mute I've ever played.

5. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Is it the "e-brass" mute ? How is it compared to a Silent brass ?

Stéphane

6. Bugler

Bugler Banned

here's a link. The mute on the right ...

Trumpet mutes

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    This is the bee's knees... as it where... turn the volume up so that you can hear everything well and play as soft as you possibly can... obviously, you don't want this to be your only pracitce time... but it works when you have no choice!!

Mike

8. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Hey!!! Old LOU!
    Shultzie here exiled in Gig Harbor...
    DO YOU REALIZE THAT U HAVE WAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MANY CORNETS!!!!!

Many of you on TM know that my beat up old "road-rage piece of Besson Sov' cornet was stolen out of my old pickup waaaaaaaaay back in 2003.

Can you believe that I still haven't found a worthy replacement. Before it was ripped off...I remember how ugly that old horn looked and how the intonation was suspect...along with the finnnnnikeee' valves.....but I TRULY MISS THAT BEAUTIFUL VELVETEEE' DENSE WARM SOUND and FRIENDLY OLD SHOE FEEL.

I am playing on an old student model Besson cornet that is equally as ugly...but just doesn't come even close to that same comfortable feeling and worst of all....
    i miss that sound????

ANY CHANCE OF PARTING WITH ONE OF THOSE OLD CORNETS OF YOURS???
    MAKE ME N' OFFA I CAN'T REFUSE, or just keep n' eye out for a somethin that you think might be a good value for n' old 69 year old retired toot on a rather fixed and fractured income?

Even worse....I haven't been able to convince our friend TOM TURNER to turn loose of one of his beautiful old cornets that I have be ENVUS for so many years...n'allthat jazz.

Exiled Shultzie...here in Gig Harbor, Wa. :)

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Well Shultzie; You make the same claims that my wife does. She also claims that I have too many.

OLDLOU>>

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have tried many practice mutes. I really have no preference for one over the other. The failure to like the SB is most often based on the lack of feedback when using it without the amp and headphones. If you don't want to let go, this mute will never work for you. The others are "louder" and that gives your ears and brain more clues. That super quiet is what I was looking for.