Silent Brass System and Valve Clatter...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, May 17, 2007.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Folks, I recently picked up a Yamaha Silent Brass system. I did it primarily for the mute/mic to use as a pickup for midi effects.

I did notice a problem when I used the little amp and headphones - the original funciton. I am hearing a lot of valve clatter in the little headphones. It goes up and down with the volume setting, so it is clearly gtting in through the mic. I am considering putting a layer of softer foam on the mute to see if that reduces the problem. I could also use an older horn with felt instead of neoprene pads.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I know many of you use these.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I've had mine for about 6 months and know exactly what your talking about. I haven't found a fix for it yet but when I'm actually playing I don't hear the valve clatter. Maybe the recording software won't pick it up while you're recording because the sound will override the clatter?....:dontknow:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you have a mic in the bell everything gets through. The clatter is at least proof that you are pushing the valves down firmly! I suspect the only solution is to use the felt instead of the neoprene. You may want to try leather instead of the neoprene - fine organs use that to absorb the "shock" when pushing the keys down.
    I am sure that neoprene(unless it is VERY soft) would aggrevate Carpal Tunnel Syndrom too.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The extra padding you're proposing should help, at least in regards to what sound is transmitted through the metal. Don Ellis used some of those sounds to good advantage -- check out Pussywiggle Stomp from Live at Filmore. Keep us posted!

5. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I don't think the silent brass system is really very useful as a recording device. I think it's a great practise tool if you can't play out in the open (hotel rooms...air planes(ahem..)...any where you need to be silent), but they are far too restrictive in the sense of being able to produce a natural sound. I tried recording a few things with it and just couldn't get the sound I was looking for. Stick with a good ribbon mic ;)

Jon

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Use noise reducing headphones you will notice a big difference

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Actually, I want to use is as a pick-up - not so much as a mic or even a recording device. This would be for more "avant-garde" stuff. I'm using it as an EVI sort of thing. I made some progress with it today and got it running with my PC. The valve clatter was not as much of a problem as anticipated. I'm going to try running it through a vacuum tube preamp and see how that affects the basic sound that I'll be processing.

I can drive a ring modulator wth it or some other sort of signal processors. What I really want to do is find an AD/Midi convertor device that is not a software patch for my PC. I want hardware for taking on gigs. This is a bit more problematic.

More to follow...

Nick

8. Jon Kratzer

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I know it's not the most cost effective thing, but have you conisdered getting one of James Morrison's Digital trumpets?

They cost about $1800 USD ($2195.00 AUD), and they sound fantastic.

They're probably the finest EVI I've ever heard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This may be your best solution to EVI since you can program almost any voice into them.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO get an EWI 4000s. It's $700 and comes with it's own built in internal analog synth that sounds amazing if tweaked right. I love the unit and practice on it daily.

-T

PS: It has a hidden "EVI" fingering mode that makes this unit even more attractive to trumpeters.

10. Jon Kratzer

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    How does the EWI 4000s work if you want to add vibrato... The MDT has a nice spot where you can control it with your thumb and has a very sophisticated method for detecting the the air velocity ad. nauseum to get different tones and colours in the sound.

Jon