Silent Brass System

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by (Trumpet)(2009), Jan 6, 2007.

1. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    I am considering purchasing a Silent Brass System. It would be helpful to get your take on it. Was it worth it? Do you enjoy it/use it often? Pros? Cons?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yes, I am assured that both Pros and Cons have used tha Silent Brass System. :-)

-cw-

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You're better off finding a place to practice where you don't disturb anyone rather than learning to play against a stuffy mute and fool yourself into thinking you're developing a proper sound. There's also nothing wrong with learning to practice quietly as long as you have an outlet where you can play loudly somewhere else. These sorts of things are okay as a limited use item but I sure wouldn't make it part of my regular practice. However, if you have no choice, you have no choice.

ML

ML

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Chuck, you really are incorrigible.:lol:

ML

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Save your money and get a Bremner Shhhhhh Mute or a Brass Spa practice mute. Even with one of these, Manny's advice is good advice.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I bought one. It sits in my mute bag. It's been there for about 2 years. I used it once or twice.

You don't get a clear idea of how you sound. The mute adds ALOT of resistance. The wires are annoying. The added resistance makes you over-compensate. So, it sits in the case. I have other practice options available.

7. (Trumpet)(2009)

(Trumpet)(2009) New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    Well, my practice time and setting may be pretty limited next year, because I am going to be a foreign exchange student. I am not sure how much time I will have to practice, or if may host family will appreciate the "noise". Hopefully I will be able to find somewhere to practice outside of the house, but I don't know. What is the "sshhhhhhMute" ? Are there any other mutes that you would reccommend for this situation?

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
  9. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I like mine, use it only some of the time. I like the true sound you get if you use good quality headphones.Great with my wife the noise monitor down the hall......