Silent brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrwilliams13, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mrwilliams13

mrwilliams13 Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2009
    Hickory, NC
    Thinking of purchasing a Yamaha Silent Brass system so when I practice I dont drive everyone at home crazy. Two questions... 1. Does it work well and 2. Does it fit both trumpet and cornet? Thanks for the input.

2. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    #1 - yes, in my personal opinion it works very well. I don't end up using the whole headphone thing very often, I usually just use it as a normal practice mute, but yes - it's very good in my opinion. Especially useful if you're going on vacation and you want to bring you trumpet along and play in the hotel room.

As, for question #2, I cannot help too much, I don't know if it would fit a cornet because I don't own one. I would have to take Yamaha at their word that it does

PM-7 - Pickup Mutes - Silent Brass - Brass/Woodwinds - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

if you follow this link it says that it's for "trumpet/cornet" So, I would guess so.

3. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    I would recommend making a Renuzit mute. Works just as well, if not a bit better, and costs 1/80th of what the Silent Brass system costs. I love mine.

Also, I think this would be better suited for the Mouthpieces/mutes/other section.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    1. Yes. Better with a good set of headphones.
    2. Yes. Even with Eb cornets.

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Would you plan on playing trumpet with the headphones or not? If you just want a silent mute there are other, comparable cheaper options. Check out this survey:

Practice Mute Survey

That survey is a couple years old and doesn't include a few other offerings. "Best Brass" is a company started by the guy who designed the Yamaha silent brass. I have heard that his practice mute is pretty good:

Warm-up | Best Brass Corporation

Dillons music music has their own practice mute which seems to be a (cheaper) copy of the "Best Brass" mute.

Dillon Music Practice Mute for Trumpet

Both of these latter two are very very small and fit entirely inside the bell. You can leave it in the bell when the trumpet is in its case.

I have three practice mutes: Shhhh mute, Lyric Stealth and the Dillon mute. They all cut the sound levels dramatically, but all make playing feel stuffy. That is inevitable with any practice mute. Sound level and openess are two big considerations. Another is intonation and tone quality. The Lyric Stealth might be the best in that area.

I thought about making a Renuzit mute, but couldn't be bothered. Mutes aren't all that expensive and I have less time (to make it, fiddle with it later, etc) than money. Also, according to the survey above the openess, pitch, and tone quality are much worse (as you would expect) than from a commercial product. You get what you pay for.

If you need to cut the volume but it doesn't have to be just above a whisper a harmon style mute could be a better option. I have a Jo-Ral Bubble (harmon). The intonation and tone quality is FAR superiour to any of the practice mutes, but the volume is very subdued. But again, a harmon style mute will have cork all the way around and gives backpressure. For me, if I want to practice in the evening and be quieter, but not near-silent I have found the best compromise is to use a Denis Wick adjustable cup mute. Put a bit of felt or some cloth (and old sock works) in the cup and adjust it a bit closer to the bell. The blow remains very open, the intonation is not (as) affected, and the volume is reduced to an acceptable (but NOT near-silent) level. The tone quality isn't great, but subjectively I'd say it is better than any of my practice mutes.

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

I haven't tried the Yamaha, but in my experience any mutes that will fit my trumpets will fit my cornets.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I have always been a little dubious about things that increase the back pressure in a horn. It can, in my opinion, cause throat and eustachian tube problems. i guess if it is unavoidable, it is unvoidable. That's why I live on a farm.

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Yes, I don't like the back pressure. Also, I can't really work on dynamics or better tone with a practice mute. I find that if I use a practice mute I feel some irritation in my palate (or sinuses? - roof of the mouth anyway) and/or throat if I play in the upper register and try to push too much air through.

But it is unavoidable at times. I live in a major city in Japan where the houses are very close together (at least I do have a house and not an apartment). Our fridge died last Sunday and I actually measured to see how much clearance there is between us and the next house to see if there was anyway to buy the biggest fridge available and bring it in directly through the (back) kitchen door. I discovered that at the closest point the neighbor's house is 50 cm from ours. (No, the fridge wouldn't fit - had to go for the second biggest through the front door.) With that kind of proximity, and living with a wife and 1 year old son I kind of have to have a more silent solution if I want to play after dark. I know of a principle in a symphony who bought a complete box/room thing that Yamaha sells to have a sound-proof practice room in his apartment. The Yamaha mute is much cheaper by comparison.

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Yes and yes, I own one, and it will fit both fine, I dont use it too often but when I do its there so I can.

the best thing is you can D.I it and sent it into a desk and add effects and crazy stuff to it, great fun!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I have the YSB for both trumpet and 'bone and find them very effective and less backpressure when powered whether listening or not. On this note, I threw away the ear buds that came with it and use other and better earphones. While the trumpet also fits my cornet well, I feel Yamaha did not design the tonal qualities for both. Too, I have to reserve comment that such will fit all cornets, as I don't believe it is possible that it would fit a Wild Thing cornet even though I don't have one to try. Too, I did disconnect the bell of my euphonium and with an self made adapter have used my 'bone one with it, again saying Yamaha didn't design the tonal qualities for both, but I do believe such to be closer to the same.