Sillicone VS Wax

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Nov 30, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I heard Turtle WAX or Carnauba Wax is good for trumpets.
    and Silicone spray too. So does Silicone stay on the horn forever?
    Which choice do YOU prefer?
    PS DOES ANYONE which wax is better? Turtle or Carnauba.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Turtle wax is carnuba. Silicone is very very slick and just like anything else it will have to be reapplied regularly

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    If you ever acquire a valuable horn, forget those others and get Renaissance Wax Polish. It's about as good as such products ever get. For beaters, it doesn't matter what you use, but silicon does have a nasty habit of being hard to remove if you want to use something else instead.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Where is the problem of a horn NOT being shiny? Tarnish in the right places proves that it is being used for what it was built for. No wax or silicone on my horns.

5. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    I suppose it goes without saying that the OP is asking about raw brass horns.

T/

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Carnauba wax is not a brand, it is a type, and most auto polishes or paste waxes contain carnauba wax.

With that said, I'm with Rowuk on this one - I've never cared as much about how my horn looked as in how it played and sounded. Who cares how it looks if it's a dog of a horn, or if the player using it can't play for beans?

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Same here, as long as it's not turning green.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Back in the 60s I had a horn come with a can of spray silicone. Was to be used on the lacquer, valves, and slides.

9. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I play with others who are obsessive about the looks of their horn. Like new cars. I am not in that camp. I buy used Land Cruisers (can't afford the new ones) and drive them like they were intended - like trucks. I have played Strad 37s and now Schilke - i play them -- i don't mind the dings and scuffs. They represent musical life.