Silly Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by R.T. Swing, Feb 16, 2007.

1. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I play a Taylor Chicargo Custom bflat trumpet but have recently got a getzen cornet, (For playing in a brass band) To move the third valve slide on the trumpet I use my left ring finger, however on the cornet when I hold it like this my fingers get caught on the lead pipe when I try to move this same slide. I cant seem to be able to move the slide without bending my wrist in a very uncomfortable possition on the cornet. Am I the only one to have this problem or should I just resort to using the first valve trigger to get the D in tune?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    RT, thanks for mentioning this. I'm expecting the Wells Fargo Wagon to bring me a Getzen 3850 Cornet during the next month, and after what you said, I'm glad it has triggers.

All the Best,

Richard

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    RT, you didn't say which model Getzen cornet but I'm guessing the Eterna 800 (that's what I have and I "sort of" run into the same problem). Unlike yourself I use my middle finger for tuning the 3rd slide. This allows me to hold the horn lightly in my left finger-tips with #3 and 4 below the 3rd slide on the 3rd valve casing and the 1st just above the slide. You will also want to have the slide "adjusted perfectly" so that very little muscle strength is required to move it (but not so light as to have it "blow out" under pressure!).

This "problem" is unique to the wrap of the 800.

The other option is, as Richard mentioned, have it rigged with a trigger.

4. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am sure you know that a silly question is just like a stupid question; it is only so if you fail to ask.

This is as true here as anyplace.

5. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hi R.T. Swing

How do you find the Custom?

Walter

6. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I love the customs big dark sound, its a large bore with a copper brass bell and a one piece leadpipe, its about 9 years old and in that has a bigger bell and heavier leadpipe than the new ones. I will say though I do have to work hard to blend it in wind band rehearsals as in a loud environment you dont have the added feedback through the vibrations of a lighter horn. Its as though although there is a lot comming out the front you get less from behind.

But for a blues solo it'll do anything you ask. The valves are the best I've used , still as smooth as the day I bought it, I also love the natural brass finish with all its blemishes I believe this adds to the darkness.

I sold a car and then some to buy this horn and I would change it for the world.

Call me a fan.

7. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Wouldnt was what I ment to type but I can only use one finger and it cant spell

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have a Getzen Capri and have no trouble so Ed must be right!

9. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Must be my fingers, its a capri, I guess I'm just used to my trumpet