Silly Surgeon!!! Well, maybe overly concerned is more accurate.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, May 1, 2014.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I was just evaluated for laporascopic bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve), the surgeon said that he wanted me to not play my trumpet for six months following the surgery. He cited his concern that air would force it's way into the esophagus (and thus into my stomach) and cause damage at the surgery site. I explained that air doesn't enter my stomach when I play, and that I wasn't taking 6 months off. Including the time I spent in the hospital I was only off for 2 weeks before and after my gallbladder removal (also laporascopic). Anyone have any experience with this issue? If so, can you give me information about how long I should reasonably expect to abstain from playing after my surgery?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ask gmonady by PM. Then you should get a good answer.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe your surgeon needs a trumpet lesson (or two). I do believe that there may be a short healing time with pressure exerted by the diaphragm to the area of inflammation from the sleeve (about a week or two tops) but air in the esophagus is not an issue that would distend to the point of damaging a remotely distal surgical site.

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Wait, my pulmonologist has been telling me for years that I have a lung disease. I figured I was safe since the air goes into my stomach. You're telling me my lungs actually take in air! Now I'm in trouble.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Well, this is probably apples and oranges, but 10 years ago I had a double bypass.... zipper scar on my chest, everything. Eight days after the operation I was in a recording studio playing an F above the staff. I was asked if it hurt, and my reply was, "It only hurts to inhale. The playing is fine." I don't remember feeling any air in my abdomen at the time. I would think that mp or mf playing on the staff would cause no harm.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds to me that his concern is rather strange. It is as if he expects that you'll ingest enough air to constitute a compressible bubble in your upper GI tract. That doesn't seem to be a very likely possibility. I don't know how much of a problem your weight is but, if you haven't already done so, I'd recommend to take a long hard look at the evidence and outcomes for these procedures on the longer term, i.e., 12 months to 5 years down the road.

As with any other weight loss measure, it will not succeed in the long run without the necessary lifestyle changes, which are to be permanent. I personally know a respiratory therapist who has shed half of his weight with only lifestyle changes. Surgery (major in this case), body invasion and implants carry lots of risks. I've seen a patient who had nothing but complications following such a procedure and eventually died from them after 2 years living in/out of the hospital, the latter part equipped with a tracheostomy and PEG tube.

Some surgeries are no brainers (laparoscopic gall bladder, anything emergent, removable tumors, etc). Others are far from it (gastric, by-pass and others, back surgeries). Get opinions from practitioners who are not surgeons. Look at the evidence on long term results.

If you've already done all this, or of you have a major metabolic disorder then of-course, you can tell me to shut up.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Thank you everyone. Gmonady--two weeks is basically what I told him to expect, he's thinking about it. Phil986--thanks for your concern. It's complicated, but weight loss is not the primary goal of the surgery. It was recommended that I consider bariatric surgery a couple of years ago (by my primary care physician) and I've taken my time considering my options. 'Nuff said. Thanks to everyone, you've been very helpful.
    John

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know your pulmonologist well. She is a fabulous physician. Listen to her. As you know, she has the air going into your lungs very well. If you feel the air is going into the stomach, perhaps it is coming from below, and that would be an issue relating more to the dose of digestive enzymes that you are taking.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I guess I'm going to rain on this parade just a little bit.

Let's forget about "breathing" with your stomach for a minute, although I wouldn't knock it 'till you've tried it. ;-) Your surgeon is correct that playing the trumpet can increase intra-esophageal and intra-abdominal pressures. I agree with the sentiments in this thread that 6 months seems excessive. If you don't agree with your current surgeon, you should seek advice from another bariatric surgeon and/or discuss this in detail with your current surgeon. Also, be prepared for your surgeon to decline the operation if feels you will not follow a safe post-operative plan.

Mike

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Let us all hope and Pray your lungs take in air, as otherwise we'll send condolences of your death to your family. Yes, my pulmonologist has diagnosed me to have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) mainly attributed to my prior cigarette smoking habit, and admittedly I am now beginning to feel its effects when I play. Too, I've undergone a triple heart bypass and an abdominal aortic aneurism (AAA). I suppose my advanced age is a factor also.