Silver allergy???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpitKey, May 8, 2008.

  1. SpitKey

    SpitKey New Friend

    17
    0
    Dec 3, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Is it possible to develop a silver allergy late in life? I’m a “comeback†player, pushing 70 real hard, and lately my chops are turning bright red after playing for just a few minutes. Now I realize they will turn red for a short while due to the blood being drawn to them while playing. In my case this redness, and some puffiness, will last for at least an hour—sometimes more—before returning to a “normal†color and size. My chops also feel like they’re burning up. They also dry out when playing even though I constantly sip water while practicing…it’s a good thing the bathroom is right around the corner from the room I practice in.

    Initially I thought this might be caused by one of the many medications I take, so yesterday I went over all of them with my doctor. He picked out one that might be the culprit, but since I’ve been on that one for 2½ years, and this is a fairly recent problem, I don’t think it’s very likely.

    What are the symptoms of a silver allergy anyway? I’m assuming there is a test available that positively determines its existence. I know one obvious solution would be to pick up a Kelly mouthpiece, but I don’t see one listed on their web sight for a flugelhorn. I really don’t want to go to the expense of having a custom mouthpiece made if the problem is not a silver allergy.

    Anyone have a thought or two about this?
     
  2. MFfan

    MFfan Fortissimo User

    3,247
    91
    Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Sorry about your problem! I'm about in your age group. Is your mp particularily worn in an area your lips touch? Metal allergies are not unknown. Maybe some web research in order. I found a cheap product you might want to get to test the MP problem using your own. It is a Runyon brass instrument lip saver. "soft plastic material slips over the rim of trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn mouthpieces cushioning the rim an providing cold weather comfort." . Interstate Music Item BA328. Price $5.39 plus shipping. Says only 6 left in stock. That might isolate your lips from metal and you can see if their is any difference in your symptoms. Good Luck!:-)
     
  3. bachstrad72

    bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

    201
    1
    May 9, 2007
    Philly
    Try PM'ing Trent Austin. He is a wealth of knowledge on that and many other subjects!
     
  4. bagmangood

    bagmangood Forte User

    Second that, maybe he'll chime in on this topic,
    short term you can change to gold mouthpieces and have every oo and ah at you for have such a nice mouthpiece, but I'd listen to someone who has gone through allergies like that before listening to me;-)
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. bachstrad72

    bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

    201
    1
    May 9, 2007
    Philly
    I had a similar problem and Trent was very helpful. I ended up going with a GW stainless steel mouthpieces.
     
  6. Dale Proctor

    Dale Proctor Utimate User

    8,219
    7,616
    Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I second the gold idea - You could always have your mouthpiece gold plated (or buy another like it already gold plated). Very few people are bothered by gold, and it's a relatively cheap experiment. If a metal allergy ultimately isn't the problem, you'll still have a cool gold mouthpiece!.;-)
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  7. oldlou

    oldlou Forte User

    Age:
    81
    1,804
    91
    Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have never heard of a silver allergy. Is the plating on your mouthpiece worn thin to allow a weer bit of brass to show through? Many people are extremely allergic to brass. Another possibility is a nickel allergy, which is common and many mouthpieces are plated with a nickel silver alloy. The suggestion of having your favored piece gold plated is valid. I have had a couple of mine done that way and I love them. They feel better,smoother, warmer, etc..


    OLDLOU>>
     
  8. SpitKey

    SpitKey New Friend

    17
    0
    Dec 3, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Many thanx to everyone who has offered advise. I ordered the Runyon brass instrument lip saver last night, not obviously as a permanent solution, but to isolate my chops from the silver to see if this is really an alleregy. This beats the heck out of going to the doctor for allergy testing. Great call MFfan, this is some fo the best advise I've had in a long time. If this does indicate a silver, or whatever allergy, I'll get my flugel and trumpet pieces gold plated. My biggest problem is how to get this expense past "scrooge", (my wife and banker).

    None of the pieces in question have any bare or worn spots. The two flugelhorn pieces I own are practically brand new, and the trumpet pieces, while considerably older don't show any wear on their rims or cups...just some insertion marks on their shanks.
     
  9. MFfan

    MFfan Fortissimo User

    3,247
    91
    Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks, hope that works out and gives you a lead on the problem. I considered buying a Runyon at one time, maybe to see it would help withmy endurance, or something. Can't recall. I did see there intent was to provide cold weather comfort from the cold rim. Wish they had those many years ago when I did a lot of marching band stuff, mostly with a VFW Band parades and Alumni Band games which were sometimes in nasty weather. I am curious as to how you compare the"feel" of the Runyon in contrast to the metal and if it affects your playing at all. Please keep us advised on your progress.:-)
     
  10. SpitKey

    SpitKey New Friend

    17
    0
    Dec 3, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Progress Report..

    I got a Kelly mouthpiece for the trumpet last Friday and the RYNON Lip Saver came today. I just finished playing for 1½ hours--no swelling; no redness; no burning sensation; no discomfort of any kind. It's a miracle. Now comes the big decision, do I order new pieces with Lexan rims, ($$$), or do I do I get my existing pieces gold plated, (less $, but there is the possibility I might be allergic to gold as well)???

    Thanx for all your suggestions, now at least I know I'm not losing my mind, (what there is of it).
     

Share This Page