Silver Flair

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by kingflair, Dec 11, 2003.

1. kingflair

kingflair New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    ottawa
    Is anyone else out there playing an older Silver Flair. I bought a "68" about 6 months ago and love this horn. The valves are super fast and light to the touch and I find it is a very free blowing horn. Not stuffy at all!!
    I love this thing, it's awesome!!

2. sonic

sonic New Friend

Nov 7, 2003
    I bought my Silver Flair new in '71. Unfortunately, it sat in the case from'74 until a year ago. As a comeback player I am again impressed by this light, responsive, open horn. When I started playing again I had thoughts about replacing this horn, but one of the things that I have learned since then is that this baby is not for sale.

3. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    I've considered picking up a vintage Flair to play while my horn gets refurbished. They seem to be a good value for the money.

4. The Royal Lancer

The Royal Lancer New Friend

Oct 11, 2004
    Detroit, Michigan
    I have in my possession, right now, a King 'Golden Flair'. This is not the UMI Golden Flair, but a KMI Golden Flair as made for the Candoli brothers by King. I understand that this instrument was made to be a Committee type instrument with better intonation and all round playability. I have to say that this is an interesting instrument. There is no engraving on the horn other than the words Golden Fair on the mouthpiece receiver. The valve stems are aluminum and the bottom valve caps are the lightest I have ever felt. None of the hardware on this horn are typical King components. It is the lightest horn I think I have ever played.

The sound is gorgeous but spreads immediately out from the bell. There is no getting to the back wall with this horn. It is truly an enigma. I have searched for info on this horn everywhere and have only turned up what you see above. I even called the King family (the ones that post the mint King instruments on eBay) and they don't even seem to know anything about these horns.

If there are ay King aficionados out there with info on this horn, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Jack

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    KINGTRUMPET -- likes KING'S -- has both types of Flairs (a 1055 and a 2055T) -- both are good horns but the pre-UMI horn (1055) is definitely the BEST!!!!!

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Welcome KingFlair,

Lots of Silver Flair fans on this forum.

My first Silver Flair was given to me by my parents in the late 70s ( a '76 model) which I still have and will never sell.

I like it so much that I bought another ('69) last year. Great horns (as you well know!) and supremely under valued......

7. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Welcome to the wonderful world of KINGS!

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, I play one - 1055T - that was made in early 1970.

I used to have another one that was made in late 1965.

They were the top of the King line from about 1965 until the late 1970s.

They are excellent horns; probably as good as any other, in my opinion.

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I too am a King Silver Flair player and a King afficionado. Look at some of the threads on here with lots of input regarding some of these magnificent KING horns. I have a 1976 1055T that I had custom engraved recently and had bought another as a spare. Sold the spare to get a LeBlanc for my pastor, but I will get another in the near future. Have you ever played a King Super 20 Symphony Silver Sonic. Completely different beast than the Silver Flair, but very much a superior trumpet to many. Here are pics of my KINGS.

Super 20 Symphony Silver Sonic 1049S[​IMG]

1976 King Silver Flair 1055T

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    kingflair, read these threads here.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/king-trumpets-h-n-white-kmi-70265.html
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/1976-king-silver-flair-70145.html

Just a few for your reading enjoyment.