silver flare vs benge 5x vs olds super

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by jhughes, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jhughes

jhughes New Friend

Mar 31, 2005
    I need help deciding .I have enough money to restore my solid olds super or buy a 60's silver flare in nice shape
    and add a Pilczuk leadpipe or buy restored 70's 5x benge. Price the same for all

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Nice decision to be able to make! Good luck with it. :dontknow:

3. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Hmmm...I have a vintage Flair - serial number puts it as late 1969/early 1970, so it is one of the "good ones." It is in very excellent shape and needs no restoring that I can see. The original leadpipe is good and solid and the rest of the horn is outstanding. Fit, finish and valves are excellent.

I tend to have a favoritism for the Silver Flair. I have never played any Olds horns, so it's unfair for me to say...

This may sound strange, but I don't care for Benges that may have been made in the seventies...maybe it depends somewhat on WHEN in the seventies. I had a 3X from the early eighties I think, and didn't like it very much. It still said Los Angeles on the bell, but certainly had to among the last made in California...in all fairness it also probably needed restored.

Not sure...Flairs are a personal favorite of mine, but it's subjective for me.