Silver on Bach tuning slides

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by SteveRicks, Feb 18, 2010.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I noticed that some Bachs have silver on about 1 inch of the tuning slide that goes inside the leadpipe. Others do not. Does this mean the horn was replated?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    No - I know of several guys who bought their Strads new [in the late 80's and early 90's] and their slides were that way from the factory.

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think it's a certain vintage. One I used to have had that and it was in the 89XXX serial number range. Don't know right offhand when that would've been made.

4. aspires

aspires Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2008
    My mid-eighties, bought new at the time, Strad 37 has about 1/8" to 1/4" silver where the plater "colored outside the lines". Not a whole inch though! Silver isn't exactly free, so I don't know why one would see that much whether original or a replate.

I also noticed on my Strad that some of the silver slopped over the edge and is on the *inside* of some of the tubing. I guess that is inevitable if one wants to guarantee a good coat over the entire visible horn. I wonder just how far back they coat the inside of the bells...