Silver Plate vs Gold Plate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jon B, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Jon B

Jon B New Friend

Sep 19, 2015
    Am going to purchase a New Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn.

Tring to decie Sver versu Gold Plate.

Cost is not the question, but curious to know any opinions bout vriations in tonality between thetwo finishe, rif it iteven dstiguisable.I have nee ownd a goldplated horn

Jon B

Selmer Paris Flugel - (Stolen)
    Blessing 154Flugel
    Bach Strad 37LR Silver

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I can't comment on the Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn in gold plate -- mine is "satin lacquer" -- but I suspect the tone quality will not change very much. I think gold plated horns are already silver plated with a gold plating over the top of that. I have tried a certain trumpet model in three finishes - lacquer (which I owned for a few months), silver and gold (which I had the lacquer version replaced with) and to be honest the differences between them was very small. The manufacturer told me they thought their gold-plated model slightly "warmer" than the other two, but I think I only think that is so because the silver looks "colder" than the gold. My lacquered Committee is warmer than my gold-plated trumpet all else being equal.

When I was offered a replacement for my lacquered trumpet (they couldn't resolve a fault it had) I asked for the gold plating because I had found the lacquer wasn't staying put and a gold plated horn resists problems with perspiration.

--bumblebee

p.s. your wiki post was a bit uncomfortable to read - without sounding too condescending it might be an idea to read your post and fix any typos/spelling before submitting...

3. Jon B

Jon B New Friend

Sep 19, 2015
    Thank you for the post. And yes, the spelling in my post was very bad.
    There seemed to be a bad delay in response from keyboard to site.

I will try to do better.

Jon B