Silver Plating and outside playing in hot humide weather

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Sep 2, 2012.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    As the title says....The silver plated parts on my trumpet and mouthpieces all go much more quickly dakr/black since I moved to Turkey, where I perform mainly outside on temperatures that go up to 50C and it is really humide...should I do anything to preserve the plating or just leave it as it is?

2. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    you have a lot of acid in your system probably and the temperature is making you sweat more thus corrode your trumpet

maybe find some protective gear like a leather cover around the valve slides

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Probably a higher sulphur content in the air will cause the blackening faster, you could try a good quality car wax to give a protective coating.

Regards, Stuart.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    From what I've experienced personally and seen on others' trumpets, it's just a matter of time before the leather cover absorbs enough of the salts from your hand and concentrates them in a protected, moist environment, accelerating corrosion and focusing the irreparable destruction on everything under the cover. Anybody else have a different experience? The plastic covers I've seen had sharp edges that scratch the finish, and they're slippery when wet, too. Wearing thin gloves might work if you kept them laundered and can tolerate the appearance. Louis Armstrong had a solution to the problem; he used a handkerchief. Personally, I would wipe down the horn with a soft cloth to remove any moisture and then wipe it again with a quality non-abrasive silver polishing cloth before I put it back in the case. There's also a tarnish protector available that you can put in the trumpet case that its maker claims to fight corrosion. I don't recall the name of the product; can someone enlighten us? Maybe someone that has tried it?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Stewart has a good idea. I've done such on a raw brass horn and it helped some. used some of the new car sealants though, not actual paste wax. In the 60's wax was wax. They have all these new dangled polymers today. Guess they work as well. Oh yeah, the point. I've tried it on raw braSs- anyone tried it on silverplate?

With all of the super hard coatings they make for wood floors and the polymer sealants, you would think someone would come out with something to go on a silverplated trumpet to keep it from tarnishing.

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I've acquired some of the newer finishes to try on raw brass horns, but since I haven't gotten around to trying them, won't mention any names. I normally use Renaissance Wax for protection, although TarniShileld is a great product for silver plating. Add one of John Ogilbee's sturdy anti-tarnish bags, and give the horn a good wipe-down after each playing, and the finish should last a lot better. I managed to transfer most of the finish of my first horn to my hands in a couple of years' use in the Houston, TX area, also known for its humidity and vile atmosphere.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could try gloves or a handkerchief then wipe down.

8. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    If you don't mind looking like a butler, wear gloves or use a handkerchief. Otherwise polish or wax your horn and wipe it after you played will help. I don't recommend the leather or plastic protectors, for the reasons mentioned above.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a faux leather Bach "gaurd" you can have. It came with a silver Conn 60B. Hardest part to clean was under the "protector"!!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Oh, what I've picked up from another, and what might also work is to put just a tiny bit of vaseline or grease on your horn, not so much that it gets slippy, but just that it covers everything and doesn't sneak out your hands like wet soap. I've put it on a horn last week, so I don't know yet if it helps a lot, but that guy was really convinced it would. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks (this, I will forget, PM if I do :lol:)