Silver Plating and outside playing in hot humide weather

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Sep 2, 2012.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    People, I don't have a problem with my "system". What I describe happens even on silver parts that I never touch (such as the throat of my mouthpieces). It is more of a atmosphere thing and Stuart gave a suggesstion that makes a lot ot sense to me. And yes, I used leather/faux leather for years, and seems to do more harm than good. I wipe my horns, but that's not the issue. I may try that Satchmo stuff, though this is not the ultimate solution. Tobylou, you can keep your "protector"...thanks for caring, anyway :-)

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I've used both Flitz and Simichrome and have had no problems with either. I've been using Flitz lately just because it's easy to find, and it seems like a little dab goes a long way. And don't forget that it's non-abrasive. Also remember that silver tarnishes; if you don't want to maintain the shine, get it gold plated. Let's see now... Flitz + soft cloth - $8.50; gold plating - $1575.00. Hmmmmm... tough to decide....

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    An anti tarnish bag seems to keep mine shiny but I don't march outdoors. Trumpetbagsusa sells them on eBay. I'm sure there many options and sellers.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My vote is for the car wax... I use a synthetic and it seems to help.