Silver Plating Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dmh737, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dmh737

dmh737 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2007
    North Alabama
    This is my first post here on TM. Please be gentle. I have an Old Yammie with mint silver. I am thinking of replacing the mouthpipe. Has anyone here had success with touching up silver or will I just have to live with the grayed-out silver look?
    Thanks,

Dave

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the appearance is an issue, don't unsolder the old one, just clip the new one to the old one. There are several designs to accomplish this. I am sure that any reasonable technician can rig that up for you. A trumpet with 2 leadpipes looks pretty cool!

3. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You might check with Charlie Melk at Charlie's Brass Works (link) - he mentioned to me the other day that he has spot-plating capability at his shop (I was asking him about what happens when he has to move and remount the receiver to increase the gap on an already-plated horn). Give him a call and I am sure that he could tell you what would be involved in mounting a leadpipe and what the cosmetic results would be. You can purchase leadpipes that are already silver-plated, and then it would probably just be a matter of spot-plating at the solder-joints?

At any rate, he's very nice to talk to and will give you the straight scoop...

I know that Charlie sells his own leadpipes in both raw brass and silver plate - he replaced the leadpipe on my old Bach with one of his and the change was incredible.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007