Silver Weymann Trumpet question

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by musicmamma, Jul 18, 2004.

1. musicmamma

musicmamma New Friend

Jul 18, 2004
    pennsylvania
    Hello All,
    I've got a Weymann Trumpet I'm looking to sell, but I don't know of it's value. I can't find hardly anything on the internet at all about the Weymann trumpets. I see lots of bugles, but not these. It says Varsity Phila on the bell. I've had everything gone over and cleaned and it works well. I've got photos if anyone wants to see it. There is some wear on the valve plating, but they work smoothly. The length without the mouthpiece is 21 1/4 inches long and the bell is 4 1/4 inches wide. The bel linside is either brass or gold plated, but the rest is a satin Silver plate. Any help with the value of this would be greatful. Thank you so much, Ginny

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Sorry, but I haven't heard of that brand. During the heyday of brass band music there were a lot of private label brands, called "stencil horns," that were made by various makers around the world for small music firms. Your instrument may indeed fall into that category.

Some of the stencil horns were made by famous makers . . . and others were crudely made in third world countries (sort of like we have today with the new Chinese instruments).

The fact that your horn has a really nice-type finish (satin silver, silver and a "gold-wash" inner bell, I suspect your trumpet is a nice one though!

In any event, enjoy playing and/or collecting your vintage instrument! I absolutely LOVE fine vintage instruments, for they come in a variety of "wraps," stunning finishes . . . and some have awesome engraving work too!!! Ya don't see all that craftsmanship and pride rolling off today's mass assembly lines.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: I'd LOVE to see some JPEG photos of your horn! My e-mail address is listed in my profile section. Maybe I can shed some greater light on this instrument once I see the photos. Thanks!