Silvertone Model 200 Stencil.

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by CompleteRookie, Feb 18, 2016.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure what you mean, but my point about that horn was that it was a rather uninspiring student model. I’ve played enough horns and play plenty well enough to recognize that! It’s just not a horn that I would personally put any time or money into - there are much better to be had.

Dennis78 likes this.
  2. joe1joey

joe1joey Mezzo Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    I do not question your credentials, nor your opinion of that particular trumpet's play. Perhaps I worded my response to your observations in such a way as the implication was assumed.
    Also, perhaps, the point I wished to make is more easily understood through the use of the following comparative analogy (sans personal qualifications)

A person played four horn models one afternoon. One of the four was a Bach Mercedes. After due considerations, of the four, this person was uninspired by that PARTICULAR Mercedes and declared the following;
    " The Bach Mercedes model is not worth enough to see what others see in it" and, as a rejoinder,
    "...the Bach Mercedes is a student model. "

3. Tom Pennell

Tom Pennell Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting observations.
    I have been "keeping an eye out" for a Silvertone Model 200, on the understanding that they were, in the main, either Blessing Standards, Artists or Super Artists, in which case they should be at least good, if not better or best.
    I guess if you are buying any form of stencil horn, you are engaging in a "suck it and see" exercise, but if I were to stumble on one here in Oz, I suspect I would be prepared to give it a go.
    Regards,Tom

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have nothing against a student horn, as long as it plays well. There are plenty of student models that outplay that particular horn, including Olds Ambassadors, Yamaha 232, or the newer Jupiter Quantum or King 601. Maybe other Silvertones play better than this particular one, but I wouldn’t waste my time looking for one to find out. If it’s meaningful for you to find one and play it, than by all means please do so - maybe your experience will differ from mine, maybe it won’t.

joe1joey likes this.
  5. joe1joey

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    I appreciate your allowance, fully agree that there are often enough examples of a particular student marketed horn that will outplay a particular professional marketed horn . and most often not by the dint of its reflected position in design, but simply as you postured in your statement: There are plenty of student models that outplay that particular horn, including Olds Ambassadors, Yamaha 232, or the newer Jupiter Quantum or King 601.
    Perhaps an Allora or P Trumpet... not being there myself and trusting your judgement as a player, who's to disagree? Especially as you shared the understanding that your perception was based on that horn and not the collective model.
    Of course, and not for your edification nor my purposes, as many of the forum know but many otherwise knowledgeable brass-wind artists and/or afficianados do not... the model 200 of Silvertone is not a copy of, but rather a renamed (stencil of) the Blessing Artist. Only culpable of being aptly considered a student's trumpet in as much as every dedicated artist remains a student throughout their playing/working experience.
    Having retained a 46 S Artist, a fine player that is challenged by another winnowing survivor in thecollection, a 65 200 (Artist) . My respect for a fine vintage Blessing and the quality of my model 200 in line with that, casts a bias on my view as certainly as your experience shades your.
    So much so that I have another 200/Artist 'gambled' upon, arriving from the lowly Shopgoodwill (hopefully) within the week.
    Lets see!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

joe1joey and Tom Pennell like this.
  7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Did I ever once say anything about student models that unplayable pro models? Nope. Just that some play better than others. Enjoy your new horn - hope it works well for you!

joe1joey likes this.
  8. joe1joey

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    The 200 was delivered today.
    Frankly, for the 20 some dollars I purchased it for I was not setup for an upset. However, I also was not planning on a dent free horn with only 1 slide frozen either.
    Dirty, yes. areas of lacquer loss, a good deal.
    Valves are mirrors and it's a tight horn. The horn gods smiled on me! Especially considering there were 2 MP's wrapped in newspaper and jammed under the horn rest, in a sheet compartment. A NY Bach 3 and a #66 Holton...minty and black as coal, both.
    How it plays is unknown, but valve alignment is impressively close.
    Tomorrow is the virgin run of my grandson's and my mine, home built Ultrasound/sonic cleaner
    Am I having a good day?

tobylou8 and ConnDirectorFan like this.
  9. joe1joey

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    ...one less than ideal note ; this trumpet is missing that sweet art deco finger hook on the lead-pipe which is likely going to be difficult to locate...but all things come to one that waits, (and is fortunate).

10. joe1joey

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    And it really sings!...I got such a charge out of how well this inexpensive works that I almost forgot to be depressed by my missing finger ring.
    Later this morning I will be calling back the gentleman that handles parts for Blessing. Long shot, but who knows?
    I'm willing to spend my library late charges for it...a bit of a bundle !

ConnDirectorFan likes this.