Simple beginners breathing exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Anyone know any simple beginners breathing exercises?

The other thing is, how do you know if your breathing right? I have been playing for a few months but i feel that i am not breathing correctly. I feel a little bit of tension in my lower diaphragm which is the air built up, i just don't think its enough.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    only take as much air into your lungs as you will need to play the passage (how do you know? it takes practice). I think that is what you mean by having air and tension in the lower diaphragm.
    breathing exercises??? just play man -- just play.
    try not to overthink this air thing -- if you just started playing -- OK the whole trumpet coordination of air,lips, and mind will take a little while -- so don't get frustrated with yourself -- that is my advice -- others will follow with their advice!!!!!!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rowuk's "Circle of Breath" concept works well, and once you establish where the inhale meets the exhale, start deepening in the inhale (like a bouncing ball) so you get more air.
    You might want to practice breathing with a toilet-paper core in your mouth--it forces your tongue down and opens the airway for some huge breaths! Once you memorize the feeling you can toss it away.

For getting air air out and turning it into sound, I like my "Magic Bubble" system.

All can be searched for here at TM.

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    That I cannot adequately describe as I'm essentially self taught. Thus, while I know how to breathe and control my airflow for various effects, endurance, tone etc. I would be hard-pressed to describe them in mutually understood language. I have, several times approached pro educators to "give me tips" or show me "The right way" but invariably they told me to continue what I was doing, they saw no problem.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think some of the brst breathing exercises are those that are playing exercises that require you to work the lungs to perform. This way you aren't getting into your head too much. I think slurred arpeggios work well. On eof my favorite exercises is page 125 in the Arban book, If you play it around 60bpm and play each note stacatto with a strong attack you will find yourself a little winded before you get past the 3rd set. I always try to hit each note a little harder than I might if I were performing something like that. If you concentrate on every single note coming out clean and punched, lots of good things happen.
    that's my take

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    While I do not wish surgery on anyone: If anyone out there has had surgery or a family that has had surgery and they brought their incentive spirometer home with them. After doing your long tone warm ups, take the incentive spirometer and another 5 minutes to blow those little blue balls up, and hold them up there as much as possible. After doing this, then go back to your horn and do those ranging building exercises AFTER taking a big supporting breath.

Welcome to the experience of recruiting terminal airspace. You will love it!

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks all for your help.

i will start doing some more arpeggios

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you keep track of how many you can do in one breath it helps with tracking your progress ... just don't get on yourself if one day you can do 10 and then the next day only 7 ... it happens.
    I start on the low F# playing one octive for as many times as I can in one breath .. then G etc.. when I get to the first line F# I start over but playing 2 octaves and progress up until ... well until I can't.
    good luck

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Breathing starts with longtones, not arpeggios. Sometimes I can spend a whole hour on this in lessons.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin ... I found that the slurred arpeggio routine to be pretty effective because I would have to push to keep the notes moving, especially descending. I can't argue with you about long tones as they are pretty standard and if playing were my main gig I would probably put in 30 minutes a day playing them. I find that these exercises carry the most bang for the buck, for me. There is a physical muscle building benefit I found to these and to the stacatto attacks. If I feel winded after an exercise I am going to assume that I am really working the proper muscles.