Simple Breathing exercises to expand capacity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    What are some simple breathing exercises to expand the capacity of the amount of air you can hold and making it more "comfortable"?

2. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I've gotten back to walking and jogging which is doing wonders for my breath capacity.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Many people swear by swimming underwater for improving breath capacity. I find that intensive rowing gives my lungs a good working. There are other options which don't involve exercise.... but cardio is very important anyway, so you may aswell kill two birds with one stone.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    "Breathing Gym" is helpful.

Exercise 1:
    Breathe in 8, push out 8
    Breathe in 8, push out 4
    Breathe in 6, push out 6
    Breathe in 4, push out 4
    Breathe in 4, push out 2
    Breathe in 2, push out 2
    Breathe in 2, push out 1
    Breathe in 1, push out 1
    Breathe in eighth-note, out eighth note.

Exercise 2:
    Inhale for 8 seconds, breathe out for 4, Hold six, release rest as quickly as possible.
    Repeat.
    Inhale for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4, Hold six, release rest as quickly as possible.
    Repeat.
    Inhale for 2 seconds, breathe out for 4, Hold six, release rest as quickly as possible.
    Repeat.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Anything that helps open up terminal [air sacs at the END of airways (not dead airways)] airways would benefit. If you ever had surgery and after this they give you that little box with the 3 balls to blow up, that will do this. If you can get one of these at a medical supply retailer, that is what I would recommend. If not, blowing up a balloon slow and steady should get similar results.

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks a lot for your input.

I do some running now, but i might give the "breathing gym" a go as well as the balloon

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think those are all great ideas. I would choose any of them.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I would simply add that while the Breathing Gym helps to expand your total capacity, I wouldn't breathe such a full breath when playing because of the tension it can produce when you try to COMPLETELY fill. So be careful to separate breathing exercises for capacity from breathing habits for playing.

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I agree it puts a lot of tension and feels very uncomfortable. I think this is what i do, hence why i asked cause i think im doing it wrong

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    So, you're always supposed to fill your breath to full capacity in breathing exercises, while it's exactly the opposite with playing the trumpet, correct?