Simple Breathing exercises to expand capacity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Feb 6, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Umm, trick question.

Yes, full breath. And why dont you use a full breath when playing???????? You should!

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    You should use a deep breath. Filling yourself to maximum capacity, however, leads to tension in the body, and then tension in the sound. My voice teacher warns against maximum breaths for this purpose --- the same applies to trumpets.

You'll also note this is encouraged by the "Mystery to Mastery" website, a public site for trumpet players with video lessons. Yes, it is legitimate, has received various endorsements, and is taught by a working player. This is just another example, I'm sure there are numerous more. It's just common sense, really.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I start with a full breath and take deep breaths when I can and sometimes short ones if I cant take a good one. But I think that depends on the player.

4. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    probably will start a breathing war, but I like Claude Gordon's 'Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing' book for the breathing concepts. It points you to need/use other Claude Gordon resources, which is cool, but the main concepts and using your lungs, chest out, instead of your belly, not only makes sense but actually works.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I meant to ask, aren't you suppose to take an 80% or so breathe with trumpet playing? (a "full breath", but not your absolute max capacity, which creates too much tension)

Now, with breathing exercises is it possible to breathe in too much? Must you get closer to your maximum capacity when doing breathing exercises? I've done breathing patterns in the past, but not consistently, as, while I can get them to feel natural, I've questioned their impact on my breathing since I've never been trained on them....