Single line or multi line?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by breakup, Nov 26, 2015.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Good catch, Rowuk. That is most likely what his question was.
    I remember as a beginner seeing two voices on a part and asking how do I play two different notes at the same time. Just one at a time, I was told.
    As I improved, I found I WAS able to practically make two notes come out at the same time, both wrong ones. SPLEEAGH! If you know what I mean.
    Anyway, here is one of the most fiendishly difficult arrangements ever done for the piano as done and played by Vladimir Horowitz.
    It is so difficult, that even Horowitz did not play it much as an encore. He said it was too damn difficult.
    Three staves and multiple lines on each one. You would swear there are more than two players playing it. Just one. Horowitz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3i1mVkqI34
    Rich T.

2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I enjoy playing the piano but playing the trupmet or any monophonic instrument is a holiday for me. Come to think of it - playing music in general is a holiday for me. So I guess that playing the trupmet is a holiday at an all-inclusive!
    Allowing my brain to focus only on one note at a time - one line - pure joy.
    Sure you don't have all the same things going on - pitch control vs. no control - air control vs finger/arm attack etc.

I tell my students that there are no 'easier' instruments. Every person and every instrument has their own challenges and through diligent study and guidance (lessons) they can master the instrument of their choice.

- now i'm startin to ramble.... sorry.

for some fun here is some brain-splitting music for you straight from my friend in Montreal:
    http://youtu.be/L2yswJTGPBY

3. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Studied both piano and trumpet from grade school through high school. No question that the piano work helps me see the "whole stave" - but that is something we stress in our jazz group as well - and excepting the piano player-- all are single line players.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For more than 3/4 of all the years I've been playing the trumpet, I've been sight transposing from piano music, initially because I had to as I scrounged our community for pre-owned music. Now finding piano, guitar and voice music that I want is just more convenient. Really, it wasn't until I got to college that I encountered full orchestral scores that became essential when I had to use the baton and conduct. We weren't allowed to use a score that had been used in the last 5 years and a new one cost me just less than $600.00 inclusive of all parts. Then I lived mostly on only baked beans.

5. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I'll bet the orchestra members loved you for that.

Thankyou to everyone who replied, most have expressed the ideas that I had and have reinforced the thoughts I had on the subject.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Allowing that such was Horowitz's transcription and arrangement and NOT Sousa's, IMO it was enjoyable and I took note that he attempted to focus on the piccolo which most of the times that USMC plays it, they don't show the piccolo solos. I do have to say that had Horowitz played it that way under Sousa's baton, there would have been a harangue.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It just didn't happen in any class or hallway of any building, but it did happen often then.

8. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Do you have any record of the fatality rate of the people walking behind you? ;-)

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know about others, but such may have contributed to the COPD I now suffer with.

10. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I started piano lessons when I was five years old. Took lessons for 3-4 years. Got to where I was reading 5-6 notes across the staves at a time with a fair amount of proficiency. Switched to trumpet in the 4th grade, and I was immediately ahead of the rest of the students because I didn't need to learn to read music, just to play the horn. Reading a single line was obviously MUCH easier than what I had been doing on the piano.