Single Radius Tuning Slide vs. Double??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I hear lots of responses about a single radius (rounded) tuning slide vs. a double radius (Bach like) tuning slide and what that does to the sound of a horn and to the blow.

I would value this board's input. How much difference do you think there is and what does that difference sound and feel like?

Jim

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    A rounded tune slide seems to work really well with a resistant leadpipe, in opening the overall blow, and alleviating any "stuffiness" someone may be experiencing with the horn. Its worth looking into, I think a new tuning slide would cost less than a new leadpipe.

What about the Taylor horns, with the really sharp curved tune slide?

Van

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Oh man... I used to play on a regular style (Bach style) tuning slide and then I got a new horn with the rounded one... To me it made a world of difference regardless of the new horn features. It was just smoother and an eaiser blow for me. Every horn I've had since has a rounded tuning slide.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    We need more horns out there that have different sets of tune slides/caps included in the package, like the Conn V1.

Van

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Why would a slide change the articulation characteristics of a horn? I can see major tonal and intonation changes, but this is the first time I've ever heard reference to articulation and slide shape.

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The resistance changes;therefore, the articulation changes.

Dave

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Something I never thought much about until this thread: was Dave Monette the first one to come out with the completely round tuning slide? I looked at a Schilke and it was part of the way there but I can't come up with another major or minor maker that had that before Dave.
    javascript:emoticon(':?:')
    ML

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Good point Manny. I'm not sure about single-radius slides. I had a Yamaha in the 1980s with a single radius; however, I think that the "ovatte" slide with a decreasing-radius type design is clearly a Monette innovation. Looking back at photos of old horns it seems clear that designers certainly had a wide range of slides with varying degrees of squareness and roundness, but I can't find any trumpets older than the 1980s with a round slide, so, maybe, Dave thunk that one up also. :cool:

Dave

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I bought a braceless, round tuning slide from Kanstul over a year ago.

On my Zeus G it really helped notes above the staff and made the tone a bit darker. The slots loosened up as well. I've never used the original Bach style slide since.

Greg

10. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I've got a collection of old records and pictures of jazz greats through the years at home, which I inherited from my Dad. One of the pictures is of Bunny Berigan. I have no idea what kind of horn he was playing, but it definitely has a single radius slide. It definitely dated back to at least the 1930's also.