Single tonguing speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matthoffner, Jun 12, 2006.

1. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Hey Manny,

I have been having some problems with the speed of my single tonguing. I find that if I focus on it for a few weeks(increasing by 1 or 2 clicks everyday on Arbans, etudes), it improves - but after a few days of not working, I lose most of my progress. Because of this, I feel like I might be approaching it wrong. Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Is it really necessary to have a fast single tongue? I feel like I can play more relaxed and confident with a slow double tongue. I feel like I am using my double tonguing as a crutch.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

3. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    A great way to help keep you tongue quick (and speed it up) is to practice single, triple, a K tonguing away from the horn. I do it whenever I'm not otherwise preoccupied (waiting in line, making dinner, commuting to/from work, etc.) That way you keep excercising the tongue and gain finesse that you can fine tool on the trumpet.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    If you go to ITG you will hear people go round muttering (tootootootootootootoo kookookookookookookoo) and nobody will say a word - anywhere else you would be locked up :lol:

I agree that it is definitely worth increasing the single tongue speed if possible - a good single tongue speed can make all the difference when approaching some pieces.

5. thomashooten

thomashooten Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2005
    Atlanta
    single tongue

I agree that it does sound better than a slow Dble Tong.
    One thing that has helped me is to always work on the air\tongue ratio.
    this might help with keeping a fast speed and staying relaxed even if you skip a couple of days.
    talk to some clarinet players and ask how they work on single tong...
    I try to make the tongue ride the air and only then do I work on speed.
    If the ratio is too much effort by the tongue then (for me, tired tongue and pecky short attacks) your tongue is too tight. Gekker use to tell me to practice it VERY legato.
    Hope this helps!
    Tom

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Frank Kaderabek mentioned this in his clinic. Herbert Clarke used to practice his articulation much the same way. In fact, Frank suggested to many of his students that they practice articulation while walking around campus.

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Great ideas

Great ideas, but what if you commute by bus? :-) Do people move away from you when you start doing that?

I kid, I kid!

Peace!

Nick

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bus

Nick,

It use to be a guaranteed way for me to get a seat on the DC Metro train system...

kinda like talking to your imaginary friend... that one seems to clear the room too...

:lol:

Like mouthpiece buzzing in the car. I'm still waiting to be stopped under suspicion of smoking a pipe... the smaller pipes that is...

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    one of the clarke books, (i think the setting up drills but dont remember for sure) has some exercises on this, also the technical studies can be used this way too.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Re: Bus

:lol: I have always been paranoid about the mouthpiece being mistaken for something else in the car too. LOL. What is also funny is when you forget you're in the grocery store or some such place and do the horse flapping with the lips or a little playful buzzing. Unfortunately, the imaginary friend thing doesn't work in NYC on the subway Rogerio. LOL. NYers are used to crazy folks. :lol:

I also agree with Tom Hooten on riding the air, especially where multiple tonguing is concerned. The faster it is the less intrusive the tongue should be. It only takes a teency flick across the airstream to be effective. The more you relax, the easier it is to obtain speed and clarity.