Single tonguing speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matthoffner, Jun 12, 2006.

1. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    thank you - working with the air speed seems to help. For some reason, I felt that if I had to constantly work on it, I was doing something wrong. But I think I was just getting lazy with the daily maintenance in my routine.

-Matt

2. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    I also really like 'The Game' that Manny introduced on here a few weeks ago. That usually pushes my single tongue speed. Good times :cool:

Brad

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Yes...the Characteristic Studies. There are also some things in Stamp towards the back.

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Re: single tongue

Good post, Tom! Another thing that Gekker laid out was the "minute drill", which apparently was how Clarke improved his own S.T. speed. I'm sure most of you know of it, and it's described in detail in Gekker's book.

If you haven't heard of it, it basically involves playing sixteenth notes on middle 'g' continuously for one minute (taking a breath where needed). You start off slowly enough that it gets just a little bit difficult at the end - doing it every day for a week. At the end of the week, you edge the metronome up about 4 clicks or so, etc. Like I said, if your interested in this, get Gekker's "Articulation Studies" book. There's a ton of great stuff in there!

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Re: Bus

[/quote]

I also agree with Tom Hooten on riding the air, especially where multiple tonguing is concerned. The faster it is the less intrusive the tongue should be. It only takes a teency flick across the airstream to be effective. The more you relax, the easier it is to obtain speed and clarity.[/quote]

I have a trombone colleague who says the tongue should just "bruise" the airstream.

Michael McLaughlin

"It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected."
    Mark Twain

6. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Chris Gekker has a great approach to tongue speed. He explains it in detail in the forward of his Articulation studies. But what he suggested to me to purely increase speed. I think he calls in the one-minute drill:

Day 1) Set a metronome at 120 and play 16th notes for one minute breathing whenever needed or doing a measure on / measure off or two measures on / two measures off.

Day 2) Metronome at 80 (increasing when it becomes easy) and play 16th notes for a minute breathing only when needed.

He explains it better in his book. But that's a decent attempt.

Matt

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Then there's always the Goldman book, which is what I like to use to keep the articulation going.

Michael McLaughlin

"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
    Igor Stravinsky