Single Tonguing Speed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Roy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Roy

Roy New Friend

May 26, 2008
    Do you have recommendations on increasing the speed of my single tonguing?

Thank you.

Roy

2. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Roy,
    First of all try to stay relaxed, especially the back of your tounge. The tounge is a fairly large muscle that extends a bit down your throat so throat tension will really slow you down. I like to practice actual speed in two ways. First go to the Arban multiple tounging section and start working on those studies single tounged, especially the easier ones at the beginning. Make sure that you are playing them slow enough at first to focus on relaxtion. Gradually start stretching yourself with the metronome speed. The second way I like to do it is without the trumpet. Take those same exercises from the Arban book and do them while you are walking or driving. This is a great way to practice exercising your tounge muscle and it also saves chops a bit.
    Hope that helps.
    Best,
    Andrew

3. Roy

Roy New Friend

May 26, 2008
    Thank you Andrew. I will try your suggestions. Any thoughts on improving the speed of multiple tonguing?

Thank you again.

Roy

4. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    I don't want to speak in Andrew's place, but to speed up multiple tonguing, the back portion of the tongue must be very even and pardon the pun, articulate. Work the same early arbans studies that Andrew mentioned with just the back of the tongue. Try to make it sound as good as the front. You will take great strides when you make the back strong. Andrew please add to this, I always enjoy your comments...Neil

5. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Thanks for the comment WV. It's a good idea and something that I hadn't thought of. Just make sure that you keep your tounge and throat as relaxed as possible when doing it.

This is a boring answer, but I do the same things for multiple tounging that I do for single. The only difference is that I do a lot more work away from the trumpet. I'm trying to get my tounge muscle used to a quick even articulation. for me the valve coordination comes second.
    Andrew

6. Roy

Roy New Friend

May 26, 2008
    Thank you for your thought. What do you mean by the back of the tongue? Are you referring to the "ku" attack?

Roy

7. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Roy,
    That's what I assumed he meant.
    A.

8. claminator

claminator New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    Talk with some good clarinet players to get ideas on how to get a good single tongue.
    I would suggest keeping your ST very legato and smooth (at first) to keep it relaxed.
    The only problem I have with the practice away from the horn is that you don't work on that speed with the air\tongue balance.
    This is really where its at.

Clammy

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Gabor Tarkovi recomends practicing Hummel 3rd mvt by the same well as Andrew does with Arban. I haven't tried yet, but I believe that it works and could be much more fun than Arban tonguing exercises.

10. Tiscione

Tiscione New Friend

Feb 16, 2005
    ATL
    These are all really great ideas. I will second the importance of working on skills such as this away from the trumpet with wind patterns like Andrew said. I remember trying to learn Soldier's Tale on the horn and having a bi$#$ of a time with it - I put it away for a few days and just practiced the quintuplet passages with wind patterns while walking around campus. While it wasn't perfect right off the bat, the coordination came much quicker. Even though this passage is multpiple tongued, I think the concept carries over really well.

Also try Chris Gekker's 1 minute drill that is found in the front one of his articulation books.