Single Tonguing Speed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Jan 8, 2013.

1. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm a comeback player.. have been working hard for the last few months after about a 25 year hiatus.

When I played more (high school and college) I always felt I had a slow tongue. While now, after getting to page #35 in Arbans I'm feeling the same way. I'd like to improve and have been working hard to play those pages at the fastest tempos, but they're sloppy and take a lot of work just to get there.

Any help besides just practicing more (which I'm doing)?

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I'ld suggest practicing more.

Try to see if you really use the tip of you tongue (If you use the T syllable for single tonguing) and try to only move the front of your tongue by a little bit, because if your use only the first bit of your tongue less matter will have to be moved, which will obviously go faster than. Try to really 'T' in the very front of your mouth.

But really, practice practice practice and more practice will improve it. The way I train my tonguing I adepted from this youtube movie: Exercise to Improve Double Tonguing Technique On Trumpet - YouTube it's meant for double tonguing, but only single tonguing with a metronome, going faster and faster will work too.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Come to Little E's next Friday evening, and I will show you how. Seriously!

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    "To play fast you must first learn to play slow"

Slow the metronome down as slow as it takes to do it CLEAN and EVEN. No matter how slow.
    Don't forget air support.
    Increase metronome a click at a time over weeks and months... it won't change overnight.

The results that consistent and dedicated practice can deliver are really a miracle, just not an OVERNIGHT miracle.

Don Jacoby says on page 19 of his book..
    "How much time did it take? WHO CARES! The result is the goal."

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    There's no need to practice with your trumpet. Always take your mpc with you, and buzz. You can get tongueing skills on the mpc alone. So, anytime you go for a drive, have the mpc at hand!
    And there are exercises that you can do even without a mpc. Try pronouncing a soft "dee dee dee" with slightly pursed lips and your tongue at the front of your mouth, right behind your teeth and pressed up against the palate. It worked for me - let's see whether it works for you too!

6. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I really wish I could.. previous plans unfortunately. Thanks for the offer though.

I'll keep an eye out for future bookings though. I'd love to see the quintet play

7. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks the video was informative, but mostly reinforced the fact that I need to practice more. It does sound.. from this and what other people are saying, that practice with just 16th notes ( instead of playing 16th notes within a particular exercise) would be good.

8. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tongue placement was something I hoped I could improve on, I'll experiment a bit with different "sounds" to see if I notice any immediate improvement.

9. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Well, there was always a phrase I borrowed from speech competitions in order to "warm up" my tongue (which is actually just as vital there as it is in playing trumpet):

"The tip of the tongue at the tip of the teeth; the teeth at the tip of the tongue."

Start with a normal speaking pace, paying attention to accentuate the "t" (and separation between "of the" and "at the") sound no matter how much you'll want to take a shortcut by using "d" instead. Then just go faster and faster.

10. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'll be there after all. Looking forward to hearing you play!