Single Tonguing Speed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You will not be disappointed. We just finishing rehearsing each day this week, and had a 6 hr recording session down in Cincinnati for our next CD. We are in excellent form as we head into Pittsburgh next week, and my tongue is as fast as it's ever been.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Vulgano tips for single tongue:

Keep the tongue relaxed, like it is melting in your mouth, and make your tongue tired every day.

An old Shuebruk exercise: Rhythm--quarter, 4 sixteenths, quarter, 4 sixteenths.... Notes--a major scale, say for example, G. The exercise-- G GGGG G GGGG A AAAA A AAAA B, etc. to g, then downwards to G. Easy, huh? Aha, the mean part--we play then from A to a and back, B to b and back etc. until d to d1 (and back). Then, c to c1 and back, B to b and back, etc. until we reach our original G to g. Afterwards, the tiredness will often be felt inside the throat, where the tongue connects to the hyoid bone. Often the cheeks and corners will complain as well; not a bad thing.

Along with that develop a good double tongue, then close the gap between the double and single tongue so that a clean double tongue can be produced slower than our fastest single tongue.

3. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That sounds like a good exercise. I've been getting faster mixing straight 16th notes (from the video that GijsVis posted) and continuing to practice from Arbans. My entire face is tired by the time I'm finished, so it seems, but I'm determined to improve this aspect of my playing.

Thanks

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Just play :play: "My Little suede Shoes" by Charlie Parker until it is smooth.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not too smooth... When my little suede shoes get too smooth and they start to shine, its time to buy more suede shoes!

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Or time to sell some really slick bowling shoes...

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I gave my blue suede shoes to one of the charities, I don't remember which and don't want to remember who gave them to me.