Single Tonguing Tips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to single-tongue fast. I'm sure that If I just practice fast tonguing it'll come along, but if there's any help you guys could give me that would be great.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is just like any muscle, you just need to develop that muscle. Work, exercise, and rest. Start slowly, and keep practicing and slowly speed it up. As you get all "Glugged" at the tongue with spit and saliva, just rest, then repeat the same exercise.

If you have an Arbans book, it is great. Get a metronome and play in time. You will then see the improvement. Repetition is the key to development, and then keeping that muscle toned by playing.

These are good, you can hear the slow tempo to start, then up to speed.
    YouTube - ‪ARBANS SINGLE TONGUE EXERCISE #22‬‏
    YouTube - ‪ARBANS SINGLE TONGUE EXERCISE #19-20‬‏

Best of luck, and persevere, it just takes time and practice.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    This is what seems to work for me: work SLOWLY on any pattern as in Arban above, or a piece, or the Clark studies, anything, until you have it very neat and very in rythm. Then pick up the pace quite a bit (10 beat per min). Most of it will still flow nicely but there will be passages that won't. Slow down just enough that these more difficult passages flow ok and practice them until it's all very neat and in rythm again. It's kinda like 3 steps forward, 2 back but eventually, it gets there.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a nice idea. I agree, stick with a method as above, and practice, practice, practice. It will come, just like being able to pick up speed saying, "Sally sells sea shells daily at the sea shore." It takes coordination and muscle development.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I prefer:-
    "I am not the pheasant plucker, but the pheasant plucker's son, and I'll keep on plucking pheasants until the pheasant plucker comes"

It is just so much more fun!!

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Tounging is the easiest thing to practice. You dont need your horn and can do it for hours on end and not blow out your lip. Pick a boring time of the day, preferably at work, and just tu,tu,tu away. Muscle development and coordination will come in a short time. When you do play, the benefits will start to show as you practice tounging with your horn. Double and triple tounging work the same way, just practice in the car or the shower or whatever. Dexterity is a skill that comes with use and leaves with disuse. Play fast pieces to keep yourself sharp. Best wishes.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Articulation on the trumpet is very unnatural. We need movement that does not correspond to normal things that we as humans do (talk, eat, spit).

Training the tongue is much more than simply TU. The breath support needs to be in order as the tongue optimally "rides" on that air. Upper body tension can also severely limit how the tongue works. We need to stay relaxed. As the tongue also supports range, articulation practice needs to be in all registers.

I find that with most students, speed is NOT the issue. Repeating more than 5 or six series gets the tongue tied into knots. THAT is the sign of tension and bad breathsupport.

Trying to learn tonguing with out lessons on body use reduces the probability of success to LUCK. Just increasing practice time also does not make things better

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my, this could get you into so much trouble, and I wouldn't even one to think of how Rowuk would react to one his students if they tried this tongue warm up excercise in front of him pheasantly plucked it up!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Don't overlook that breath support comment of Robin's ... the tendency of students is to over do the tongue force ... a light tongue and strong air support creates a really solid attach..and helps with speed as well..
    great advice. love the Arban with a metronome