Single Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by supremetrumpet, Mar 8, 2006.

1. supremetrumpet

supremetrumpet New Friend

Dec 20, 2005
    Hi Manny. I want to ask you something with regards to tonguing. I read somewhere that one should work on his single tonguing as much as possible and not only on double and triple tonguing because you should only use double and triple tonguing when you can't single tongue that fast. In other words, double and triple tonguing should only be used more like a "last resort". Do you agree with that statement? And also, can one double tongue so good that it sounds just like single tonguing?(Can the "ka" sound just like the "ta"?)

Thanks

2. supremetrumpet

supremetrumpet New Friend

Dec 20, 2005
    I guess another way of putting my question is do you ever use double tounguing when you could actually be using single tonguing or do you only start double tonguing when you can no longer keep up with just single tonguing?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, I think a trumpeter should never be caught in the "cracks" where something is too fast to single and too slow to double/triple. You have to develop a variety of double tongues; at least two. One is legato and the other a blunt, thuddy style to sound like a short single.

ML

4. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005

Ravel's Piano Concerto in G = GAH! :x