single tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lalaman, Oct 21, 2009.

1. lalaman

lalaman New Friend

Oct 21, 2009
    Hong Kong
    I got some tips from some seniors abt double tonguing, now that i can do it, i find it kind of useless in some of my band music. It's jst a little too fast for the music
    However, my single tonguing is just not quite crisp enough

Any tips?

fyi, I use the ti-ti-ti-ti syllable.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Practice slowly. Clarke studies (or similar studies) articulated - starting slowly, and perfectly, working your way up in speed

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Do the 6/8 rythmic studies in the arbans book. I found when using the "tu" syllable it helps. Also Clarke studies is probally the best. The first 2 exceresies should be practiced with all articulations.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    you own the double tongue when you can go from a single to double without anyone noticing. generally there should be a fair amount of overlap between the two. Double tongue down to 116 and single tongue up to 144 metronome BPM.

Advice: keep working on it. You ain't done yet!

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    ha... we aint done till the moment we die...

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    We never get done if we want to keep on playing and performing.

7. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    single tonguing should be done with tu, since it fits the way you blow on a horn better. if you say ti you have to open your mouth, if you say tu you can make an embrouchure.

8. westyz61

westyz61 New Friend

What works well for me, Clark Study No. 2, with metronome, once slurred but with a pause (for 3 eight notes in length) on the top note of each group of 4 eighth notes (James Stamp concept) second time slurred, third time single tongue, fourth double tongue (same tempo). All in one breath. This ensures my single tongue is as fast as my slowest double tongue, so there is no gap. This can be applied to many Clark Studies.
    Whatever you do, make sure your double and single tongue are clean, and can overlap in tempo. Patience, as ever, is the key.
    Good luck!

9. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Start slow with a few lines from clarke #2. When you complete the exercise, move your metronome up one beat/minute and play it again. Continue moving until you reach a faster speed and realize it's no trouble at all.
    As for your double tonguing... most of the concert band music I've had just doesn't require it. If you really want to use it in band, try finding a solo (such as Hadyn mvt.3) that probably requires it.

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I can only imagine this to be the case for someone using a pucker embouchure like Maggio. J.B. Arban was French, and in French "tu" sounds closer to "tee" than "too" (although not exactly the same). Claude Gordon relayed this insight in his footnotes to the Arban method. "Too" may work for you, but not everyone. Regardless, it is not necessary for a trumpet player to open his mouth to say "tee" any more than for a ventriliquist.