Sitting vs standing to practice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Is there any advantage to sitting during practice? I just noticed that I was sitting for all my lessons (including the 1st one in Mexico, on the curb in a plaza) but everything, especially breathing, is easier when I stand. :dontknow:

Since breathing is the focus this week, I've been mostly standing.

Turtle

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I always practice standing, but I play in no sit-down organizations, so FWIW. My lessons until this summer were also standing, but my summertime teacher - a jazz player, likes to sit, so although he is happy for me to stand, I mix it up.

If you play in an ensemble that performs seated, then learning to sit with correct posture and breathe in that position is necessary.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My experience is that it takes more practice to play correctly standing up. When we are seated, we have an optimal 3 point balance with both legs and our bum. This actually helps when we have to balance the weight of the horn in front of our face, keep our spines straight, neck extended, head over the spine. To stand comparably balanced and tension free, we need to spend a fair amount of time with the body. Of course, when the innards are hanging low, we have more room for air and this does help too.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Interesting question. Personally, I find I actually play a little better standing. I always wondered about the big bands that had the trumpets sitting. Buddy Rich, Kenton, Maynard, Woody Herman, Airmen of Note etc. had them standing (there may have been a time in the distant past when they had them sit, but it was rare). Some of the "sweet" sounding bands had them sitting, of course.
    I know someone will say the standing was so they could play over the rest, but risers are an easy fix for that. Of course, in classical, one almost always sits.
    It will be enlightening hearing others comments.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    It's a little harder to stand and play verses setting and playing.
    The first reason is obvious, standing takes more energy than setting.
    Also, with standing, I've had some students to lean forward too much or slouch, or stand with their legs rigid. Not good stances for optmum performance.
    As for me, I almost always stand when I practice (except late at night when I'm using my silent brass). 99% of the time I stand when performing.

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I try to practice both ways so I'll be equally comfortable performing either way.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    If I'm practicing on orchestra or symphony band work I practice how I'm going to play it. On the other hand, I might stand if I'm practicing my Jazz work.

But personally, I've found that I can play better standing because I can involve the entire body. Versus, sitting down where you can only use the 2/3 of your body (Head-abdomen).

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You guys are great! :play: Thanks for the responses ... keep them coming.

ROWUK, appreciate the observations. I really get that. Now I can see that the reason trumpeting is easier standing up .... I SLOUCH! Badly. (blame it on years of acoustic guitar playing). When I get the balance right, it's just as easy sitting down. Nice.

OR, it could be .... "To stand comparably balanced and tension free, we need to spend a fair amount of time with the body." Well, that must be it. I spend 24/7 with the body and I've been doing that for years. That has to be it. :lol:

Turtle

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ooooooooo - Turtle mocks Rowuk - suggestion - everyone duck ;-).

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh, come on now ..... That's not a mock ...... It's a jibe or a rib. I think Rowuk knows the difference. :lol:

Right? :shhh: :shock:

The Turtle

No, see .... If it was a mock, it would look like this: :bleah: