Sitting vs standing to practice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    In defense of Turtle, I thought the same joke as I was reading this thread.... and yes I laughed when I read his response. But we all know what Rowuk meant.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    As I get older, I'm 60 with arthritic knees.I find myself doing all of my practicing and performing except solo's, sitting down.When I was younger I used to do both. I would stand at the beginning for long tones ,flexibility studies,and range exercises, then would sit when working out of Arban's,Clarke, etc.. The biggest no-no I see in most students when sitting, is leaning against the back of the chair. I always tell my students to sit straight up as if at attention and forward on the chair ,as if it were a stool with no back,with both feet flat on the floor.

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    My teacher tells me this, and although he is a good teacher, I disagree. When sitting, if you start with your feet flat, and then move them towards the chair so that the weight is now resting on the front of your feet, you will notice that your shoulders move back, which I think is a much better position for good breathing. Watching good symphonic players I see that it is common for them to have their heels off the floor so I don't think it is a bad position. For me, it is more comfortable.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    LYING DOWN is tough. Gravity gives you too much MP pressure. ;-)

Turtle

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Just went through this yesterday when a pro friend arrived to play my little collection. My back was out and since he was standing, I stood and my accuracy, range, etc. was all out the door--- air, air, air. Later, I sat down to practice and viola. Still hurt, but I could get better support sitting under that circumstance.

ed

6. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    In my first incarnation I practiced and played sitting down. Fast forward about 30 years as a comeback player, my teach has me standing. Hated it at first, now I feel weird sitting. Can't win ;-)

David.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I always used to practice standing but I rehearse and perform sitting, so I'm going to practice that way. No issues with air or how I'm sitting. Like Ed, I have some back issues as well so sitting helps with that.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We all know how turtles move around, and what they do when danger is approaching. No need to attack an easy but invincible target. If it gets too rough, I have a big pot of boiling water for soup...............

I do not need to worry about jokes, we all end up living with our own backs. Those that figure out body use earlier can have an easier time later.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Interestingly, turtles (or at least the ones I've known) have mastered the art of the QUICK EXHALE. They have to do this to get into the shell. There's a distinct sound that goes with it. Some of the turtles (definitely the ones from Costa Rica, the painted turtles) can SLEEP UNDERWATER. My pet Diego used to do that. Talk about breath control !!!

TJ

10. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    I find it noticably easier to sit while playing.. on the other hand I find it takes more effort to get the air to sing while sat. Maybe I don't use much air for playing trumpet.