Sitting vs standing to practice.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Like David/Dark Knight, I learned to play and practice sitting (55 years ago). When I started my comeback, I decided to try standing to see if would help with posture and breath control and now I always stand during practice at home.

The band I play in does everything sitting so I have a direct comparison. I think that standing has helped my breathing but I find that I can play longer without tiring when I sit. So, it seems that there are advantages both ways. I think it depends a lot on the individual and how one approaches it.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    All of my playing is done while standing - so I practice the same way. I've had to put a lot of effort onto the process of body centering and relaxed breathing while standing though - and it is tiring. The alpine skiers concept to "bend ze knees" and keep the feet flat on the floor for "full contact with the ground" assists as well.

3. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

I sit in front of the TV cross legged playing long notes for about 15 minutes to warm the mouth and trumpet up a bit (winter in JHB at 5000 ft not pleasant).

Wonder through to back room after family complains enough is enough !!
    and continue regime of both standing and sitting for about an hour or so, sometimes more. Makes no difference at all to sound or endurance as enrolled daughter confirmed with blindfold test. Teenagers never lie...

Middle age makes standing and sitting compulsory (joint fatigue) however do not try to accomplish this at the same time...

Think giving up smoking a year ago has made one hell of a difference though.. current record for blowing out one time - 75 seconds. Last year 50 seconds at a struggle.

Cheers

Paul.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The reason I tell my students to sit this way, is to prevent them from sitting with their legs wrapped around the chair legs ,or worse sitting with their legs crossed.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This the stance I attempt to emulate ... notice the knees and the relaxed approach ..... and the feet planted squarely and flat on the floor, particularly during the introductory solo.
    YouTube - Canadian Brass - Amazing Grace

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hey Ted, I bet you not only have the stance, but the sound as well. Right?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yep, that sound is right there in my head - not in my ears you understand - but in there with the voices. :oops:

Ahhh, now you know why I have the white shoes too - see some other thread, some other time. ROFL