Sitting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I think that upright posture,no leaning foward or arching of the back.in this position the arms can move freely and the head balances on the top of the spine,easing the load on the neck shoulders and arms.Also in this position the throat is not constricted and remains open and breathing muscles move freely.In my opinion this is the only way to play sitting or standing,now I just have to remember to practice what I preach.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Alexander technique is wonderful but expensive. Essentially it gives our muscles permission to be long. Under stress (and over a period of time) our muscles will contract; the Alexander technique teaches that we can trust relaxed long muscles (to hold our head up, for example). It doesn't mean that we stretch ourselves into being taller--we simply let the muscles be long. When we achieve that, our bodies move with a natural grace.

The cheap and dirty Vulgano version simply involves keeping our head far from our posterior. Sometimes it helps to imagine that we are wearing a cape. Or wings.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    flugelgirl, If that is you in your Avatar, and that is a cigar, I would suggest you give up smoking. You know its bad for your eyes. I bet you really don't smoke.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    One of my teachers would always say "sit as you stand." He would stand in front of his chair and then sit down onto the edge of the chair and his upper body basically didn't change at all. He kept the spine long and head and chin in the same position as standing. He also kept his feet firmly planted on the floor so that even though the chair is supporting your weight, you can still have that feeling of being grounded solidly into the floor. The hardest thing about sitting this way is that usually the people around you are sitting back in the chair and letting the back or neck slouch, so you feel like you stand out a little!

Jason.

5. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    I notice many people sit with legs crossed, which is not good for posture, or playing. Another thing that may help with that yoga ball is to do sit-ups. However, they must be done correctly, especially on the ball, so see a sports-minded person for that or you can do more harm than good. (Take care not to go backwards too far, or your back will give you problems, and sit more forward on the ball to discourage that from happening). The abs help support when we sit or stand for long periods, and along with the chest out thing, feet on the floor, and other points mentioned in this post, should help greatly. My personal advice is to never smoke, since that is a curse on all wind players especially, as well as those in their immediate vicinity! Thanks for an interesting topic!

6. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    A horn instructor used to have us envision a hook in our sternum (I guess) pulling our chest up to open up the abdominal cavity. We'd then breath in out out feeling our abdomen expand and contract, concentrating on expanding it to it's fullest as we breathed in, and pushing air from the abdomen when we thought we were out of air.

These exercises were done standing - which is absolutely a better posture for playing, but, if you do them standing just before you sit, and then try them again from a seated position, you'll become aware of any restriction (and the extent of the restriction) to your breath. I'd suggest making it part of your warm up (if it's not already).

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Definately good not to smoke - just for the record. I do enjoy the occasional cigar, but only a few per year. There's guys I work with who constantly go out in the cold just to smoke a cigarette, are always in a niccotine fit, and always smell bad. I'd hate to see their lungs!

8. Kevykev

Kevykev Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2006
    St. Louis.
    Sitting on the edge of your seat may not always be a good thing though. What you should strive for when sitting first and foremost is trying to have your knees below your hip level. In doing this it allows your rib cage and lungs to "roll out" much easier. Try it and you'll see what I mean!

So do not sit in a chair that's too low and you also don't want to sit with your back crammed against the back of the seat either. Doing that limits your breathing flexability in your lower back which is where you should also feel your lungs expanding. As Claude Gordon teaches that the lungs should have a "bellows" type of an effect to them when breathing. If anything when sitting, try to put the top of your back slightly against the chair and your lower back slightly away from the back. Doing this combined with knees below your hips and chest up will allow for easier deeper breathing which is what should be the goal anyway.:thumbsup:

9. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Ok, I guess a few a year is not really smoking. And Vulgano Brother, people who imagine themselves with a Cape or Wings usually want to be a SUPER HERO!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Flugelgirl,
    swimming and yoga are the fastest way to learning to use what you have.
    Superior breathing is mind over matter and superior physical condition. Arnold Jacobs balanced the Chicago Symphony with one lung (the other was damaged by asthma I think). Both of your lungs have at least the net capacity of one of his so you have ALL of the physical requirements to succeed. His book Song and Wind is also excellent reading!
    Arnold Jacobs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Don't settle for one of us. Get your advice from the VERY best!