Ska? Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LindsayMae, May 17, 2009.

1. LindsayMae

LindsayMae New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm just getting into liking ska. I wasn't into it when it was really popular, well because I was about 4-ish back then. But I've been listening to Reel Big Fish and Save Ferris and Mighty Mighty Bosstones ect. I really love how it's punk with a horn section. I want to create a ska band, me being lead trumpet of course. But whenever I ask someone if they would want to join(if I ever do actually start a band), they have no idea what ska is. I would love to hear your opinions on this and advice if you have any. :)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Putting a band together seldom has anything to do with music. You need real organizational talent, a never ending patience, very little pride as begging is a big part of getting commitments. If the people you ask are not to good in music history, tell them it is jazz. Everybody knows what that is ;-)

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Or maybe you should change your approach. Go at ska/rocksteady/reaggae shows, make friends with people who like the music, and find musicians who know the scene, and want to start a band. Easier than you might think.

4. n4t3

n4t3 New Friend

May 13, 2009
    rockford Illinois
    Come down to the chicago area, my friend wants to start one too. not to sure how that would work out though

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Ska is great!!

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway