Ska Music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Aug 20, 2007.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hey everyone. I was wondering how many people here on TM listened to and/or plays/played ska. In my town there is almost nobody who's even heard of it, it sucks =(. So name your favorite ska band and if you are in or were in a ska band before =).

Favorite Ska Band: Mad Caddies/ Streeghtlight Manifesto
    Band of my own: We all good but our drummer sucks the big one so we get places slow.

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I played in a group that open for Mad Caddies for awhile. We were Married For Money. The group split because of college. One of my personal favorites is MU330

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ska is good.

My favourite bands are. Streetlight Manifesto, Catch 22 (Especially the Kalnosky stuff so basically Streetlight), The Planet Smashers (which are less punk), Hepcat (Which is basically modern revivalist ska I guess), Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake (Older albums). Each of these bands have their own style that is unique to that band even later C22 is different from Streetlight or Kanolsky era C22. LTJ in recent years has sucked...

4. loudtrumpetguy

loudtrumpetguy New Friend

Feb 28, 2007
    England
  5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    That is actually really good.

I myself want to start a ska band, but alas I am finding it hard to find a drummer or a singer. That and I want to do waht I call Jam Ska are Psychedelic Ska... depending on how u look at it (think of Grateful Dead mixed wiht the Hepcats mixed with Miles Davis... probably a flop but who cares.)

6. Dustin

Dustin Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    West Virginia
    I'm not a huge ska fan, but I definitely dig Streetlight Manifesto, Catch 22, Big D and the Kids Table, and Five Iron Frenzy. Ska is definitely a lot of fun. haha

7. skankin'dan

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    This is pretty good =) The theme is pro. I think if the trumpet played on a higher range it would sound skawesome( on lucky). I wish our band could put together some songs, but alas, our drummer sucks so bad isn't funny. And it's not like we could kick him (cuz if i could i would i got 2 other drummers who would easy join and they good, the rest of us are really good tho.). All really good stuff and keep it up =)

8. loudtrumpetguy

loudtrumpetguy New Friend

Feb 28, 2007
    England
    cheers dudes, we hav got a load more tracks waiting to be finished off so keep an eye on our site. There is alot of remixing to be does on lucky too we recorded it before we had actully ever played it together but now we hav played it live a few times the trumpet parts are alot better.

BTW note360 where abouts do you live i live your ideas

9. skankin'dan

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I also recomend that you guys check the bands:

Mustard Plug: Ska that really skanks.

Against All Authority: DIY Punk/ Ska, simple but beautiful

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution: It's streetlight manifesto with alot more instruments (almost like symphony in ska form)!

10. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I live in Suffolk County NY. My trumpet playing ismediocre compared to some others around here, but I still have ideas. Main prblm is my idea would require a sax section (easy) maybe some more brass, a singer (hard), a drummer (harder), a decent guitar player (medium), a good bass player (already done, he also plays guitar but bass is much harder to come by) and a keyboard player (hard to find an open minded one) preferably. Ive been trying to find a drummer, but the best one technically is also the least open to new ideas... He basically plays clasic rock song covers and made a few recordings of songs that sound like John Mayer or wtvr, but worse.