Sleep Apnea and playing the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I didn't want to hijack another thread but the topic on the other thread about tension, buzz and using the upper diagonal muscle got me to do a bit of thinking. I am a Sleep Apnea patent and have been one for at least 10 years. I have frequent sinus infections many times I believe due to my equipment (c-pap machine) which has air pressure applied through your nose from a machine through a mask and hose that must be kept clean and often times replaced to prevent infections. My luck hasn't been good. I also have had sinus surgery as well as a bout with Bells Palsy. I am not sure if there is a connection to these events or not however the purpose of this thread and the reason I am writing is that I have noticed that my upper diagonal muscles are sometimes weak because I have had the mask fastened on my face all night as I sleep. If I have sinus issues I sometimes pull the straps tighter so air doesn't go out the sides but rather into my nasal passage ways. I think I have dropped a few notes in range and maybe a bit of control because of this issue. Would the Doctors on here agree with this? What would you suggest I do to combat the weakening of this muscle group?
    Finally any other Sleep apnea trumpet players out there? What has been your experience? Any insight?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I have the same problem - sleep apnoe, but as yet without the need for a mask. I've managed to combat the constant sinus problem with a very simple remedy: Every night, I apply a tiny portion of Tiger Balm directly under my nose (upper part of upper lip), and that usually keeps my sinuses clear till the morning. So far - good results.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I snore?

4. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

I feel your pain. I have had sleep apnea for fifteen years. I have had problems too with mask fit and sinus irritation. I just used my new ResMed Elite with humidifier last night. It was a huge difference from my non humidified s Sullivan 5. Maybe a nasal pillow style mask will help with your fitment issue and the humidifier will help you breathe easier by easing your sinusitis. The effect of sleep apnea on my playing has always been fatigue. I am hopeful the new machine will help in this regard. BTW the morning mask line may be attributed to your new motorcycle helmet :-) Brian

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm sorry if I have made light of a serious problem here please accept it as the lighthearted mental wanderings of a slightly inebriated tyke. (home made wine's a killer)

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Would you believe I use both nasal pillow and humidifier? The pillow seems to be pushing down and applying stress to my upper lip area. If I loosen the straps too much and turn my head to one side or the other air goes out the sides. I am hoping maybe there is just some magic trick out there I haven't tried yet. For me it is really a serious condition because in the sleep study I stopped breathing several times.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am also a sleep apnea patient and wear the CPAP mask every night. I found out about the symptoms caused by sleep apnea on stage over 10 years ago. I started shaking like crazy in the middle movement of the Hummel. I was well prepared so it had nothing to do with nerves. It turns out my blood pressure went nuts. Since I have been wearing the mask - no more issues. I think the most critical thing to do is drink a lot of water. The moving air from the mask can dry you out. That can be fought from within - at least in my case. Alcohol is bad news as is a bag of chips before bed. Both dehydrate.......

I use the nasal pillows (ComfortLite 2) and found the optimal size after some experimentation. I started with a larger size and had exactly the same problem that Brian described. I can now sleep on my back and sides with no issues.

8. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Humidifier model excellent solution and drink water.

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I am using the "Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask" . I think the ComfortLite 2 might actually pull more upward away from the top lip by looking at the picture. Is that your experience Rowuk?

10. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Even though I keep the straps as loose as I can without causing leakage, I have wondered if the pressure the mask puts on my chops at night hinders blood flow enough to affect overnight chops rejuvenation. Since I started my comeback several years after getting the machine, I'll never know.

About a year ago, I was concerned about a wrinkle across the bridge of my nose where the mask presses at night. The wrinkle would go away during the day, but as time went on it was becoming more permanent. To keep myself from looking like Shrek, I decided to try a nasal pillow. I found that for me, any misalignment restricted air flow into my nose while inhaling. So, even though there was plenty of air pressure at the end of the exhale to prevent the apnea, I was struggling to inhale because of the air restriction and I was getting lousy sleep. The apnea prevention device was causing sleep issues. ("The operation was a success, but the patient died.")

I went back to my trusty Resmed Mirage Activa.

-Shrek