Sleigh Ride - who played the original recording horse whinny?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mhendricks, Dec 25, 2014.

1. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Sleigh Ride - who played the original recording trumpet horse whinny?

The recording that we all hear on radio and TV each year.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I do not know exactly, but most of LeRoy Anderson's stuff went straight to the Boston Pops to play for the first time, if I'm not mistaken.
    Here is some helpful information: "After the summer of 1946 was over, Leroy and Eleanor moved to New York City where they lived at 19 Parade Place in Brooklyn in an apartment that had been rented by Eleanor’s uncle who recently died. Leroy Anderson completed Sleigh Ride here in time for the Boston Pops Orchestra's season in 1948".

That being determined, let's try to find out who the lead trumpet player was in 1948, and if indeed he was the one who did the whinny. It might well be the best one that's been done yet.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    An educated guess would be Roger Voisin. Georges Mager was the principal in the Boston Symphony at that time, but Voisin likely did the honors for the Boston Pops.
    Rich T.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Everything Leroy Anderson wrote is golden in my opinion. Sleigh Ride is his best, but Trumpeters Lullaby is my favorite. He is the composer who shows his expert abilities but doesn't take himself too seriously, his horse whinny and the cat and dog sounds in Waltzing Cat make him a favorite with audiences, and isn't enjoyment what music is all about? Best wishes.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    He wrote it for Roger Voisin.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    All the Leroy Anderson pieces I remember playing, Sleigh Ride, Bugler's Holiday, Blue Tango, were a delight to perform. Light in style but really well orchestrated. The one exception was that d^&*%#d horse's whinny. I must have played it in public a couple of dozen times but never the same way twice, and never better than 'at least he tried'. Never found any volunteers to sub it either so I guess it was a case of taking one for the section. :-)

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Let's not forget the typewriter song. Of course in a couple more years it will be completed outdated as most people hearing it will say "so what is a typewriter?"

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    A mechanical keyboard?I used to be able to do a pretty good whinney, but haven't tried in years. Our school did Sleighride my freshman year. One of the seniors did it then, the rest of us lowly underclassmen worked on doing it just to emulate him because we thought it was cool. I also did Trumpeter's Lullaby my senior year with the marching band, arranged as a quartet. Wonderful stuff to play:oops:

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I could never do a decent whinny either. Luckily there was always someone there to volunteer to be the fool. It seems that every Christmas this question comes up and a few methods are always put out there, nothing beats a well trained horse though. The rest of the piece is stupendous so I guess I can put up with the horse, the audience always laughs at the inadequate imitation and that makes us all smile too. Merry Christmas all.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    IIRC,, that whinney is basically a smear using half valves and a lip slur. Just have to remember which note to start on to get it to sound more or less right:roll::dontknow::oops: