Sleigh Ride - who played the original recording horse whinny?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mhendricks, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    .....or just have a spare Firebird ready to hand. Made for the job!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It was originally recorded by the Cincinnati Pops. Marie Spitzerille was the trumpet player fist created with coining the sound.

3. Furcifer

Furcifer Pianissimo User

Jul 26, 2010
    TEXAS
    Every time that chart got pulled out of the book, it seems like I was the guy doing the whinny. I always do it with rather a half-valve shake, quickly rising and then descending - and not too long! Fun stuff, but I swear, I could have nailed double-G's the whole gig and I'd probably still get more compliments afterwards for the silly horse-whinney, LOL!

4. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Citation please? Everything I've read stated that was written for and first performed by the Boston Pops.

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Jeanne Pocius has the best whinney I have heard. She told me a few years ago how she did it but, since I really never had the chance or got around to it, I never tried it and I forgot. Ask her

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Whoever the guy/gal was, they never spent any time on a ranch. Trumpeters that do, whinny a lot differently..............

On most of the recordings that I have heard, the whinny sounds like a Nintendo GameBoy approximation from the 80's ;-(

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    * From the Ohio Book of propaganda and misinformation, a required reading for all Ohio elementary school students.
    Also contained in that book are these fun facts: Ohio has the nicest seashore beaches, the highest mountain peaks in the continental US, the largest ball of twine, etc......:cool:

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Where's your proof they don't have the best beaches?

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    In the New Jersey book of propaganda and misinformation, where else?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In these parts, it is the CSO recording that gets the most air play and it is Marie that gets the horses nod to play the cry, and she does so with gusto. Better than any man I have yet heard try to play this part.

So the original question was who plays the part. My answer is true, it is Marie Speziale and she happened to be with the CSO. Rice University Shepherd School of Music

No one was even confirmed from the BSO and I was not saying Marie was the only one, but my answer was ONLY honest and true one given to the original request to date. And what do I get but ridicule to prove it, and Ohio castigation from the person I put a good investment into for purchasing a Christmas present. Merry Christmas and may the Holiday Spirit return to the whole lot of you.