Slide Cleaner

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ernieo2, Feb 16, 2005.

1. ernieo2

ernieo2 New Friend

May 22, 2004
    Van Nuys, California
    I have 7 trumpets and cornets, all with discolored slides. I hesitate to use Brasso to clean them. Can anyone recommend a good way to clean slides so they are nice and shiny again without taking off any of the metal.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I use Silvo to clean up my slides every 6 months or so. It's the same product as Brasso but is much finer (obvious, since it is intended for silver!) Don't use any more pressure than absolutely necessary. I suppose if I lived closer to where the services are available I might try chem cleaning as an alternative.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    use never dull it will get the slides looking 100% new!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    There is some cloth made by "Blitz" that works really well on slides. They will look new when you are done!

5. ernieo2

ernieo2 New Friend

May 22, 2004
    Van Nuys, California
    dizforprez
    Thanks for that tip> did a web search for nevr dull. Many stores sell it, including walmart, home depot, ace and true value hardware. I found some locally today, tried it on my rustiest and dirtiest slide and it worked just great. They look like new.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    glad it worked out for you, Miracle cloth is another good one to use on slides or valves...is that the one you are talking about mmccourt?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    No... I dont think so. The brand name was "blitz" and it was a cloth made for cleaning slides. It works very well.

This is it

http://www.musicexpert.com/acc/2200007.html